Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 rear sway bar

Steptoe

Our vehicle inspectors are not keen on your suggested method carfreak. I have a few things to guide me for placement position, which should help me get U bolt dimensions , got my 8 mm rod today so should be no stopping me. Actually not using the intended vehicle for the fit up so need it to be removeable. Will add pics when completed.

Plan is to make legs longer to be cut to even length when finished. It is tricky cutting their threads on finished product so need to bend to an L shape, do a thread each end, bend to U shape without stuffing threads. Might need to make a bending jig

On 9/16/2019 at 7:23 AM, carfreak85 said:

I would just copy the EA82-style mounts.  Basically, cut square stock in half, make a slot for the mounting clamp's tab, drill a hole and weld a captive nut inside, then weld that assembly to the semi-trailing arm.  Wish I had a photo to share...

If you have to fab them anyhow,  would suggest using captive nuts and bolt down both sides of the U-bracket.

Seen many times the bent tabs tear out of the slots.....the design of the bar means those bushings can see ALOT of force when articulated.

I would also recommend adding a tab across the arch of the u-brackets........perpendicular across them, with ends folded down.  This will keep the bushings from walking out the side.....something I've also seen several times with this style bar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

I don't know how your vehicle inspectors could have an issue with simply replicating the exact same style anti-roll bar mounts that Subaru themselves used.  It's literally square tubing with a slot cut and hole drilled with a captive nut welded behind the hole...

PICT3224.jpg

It’s not the setup, it’s the welding! In Victoria where I am, if the welding is done by a certified welder it will walk through engineering - if that’s a point of concern. 

My engineer said he’s ok with all the planned welding I’ve got in store for a project. I’ll rack it together, certified welder will finish the job and provide evidence of their work for the engineer. 

But... if you can make it look factory from the get-go, no one will know any different, unless if fails in a crash and is found to be  part of, or the entire roots cause of the crash. Then you’re stuffed. 

And I see photobucket is now blurring all their images unless you have a subscription. Good on them, dickheads. 

Cheers 

Bennie

47 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

And I see photobucket is now blurring all their images unless you have a subscription. Good on them, dickheads. 

At least imageshack isn't doing that crap.

b4tGjf.jpg

Too bad you're so far away Steptoe, other wise I'd sell you these for really cheap. '85-86 EA GL-10 arms.

Wonder if ParcelMonkey delivers to your area?

Edit: EMS Parcel Post is $175 for 30 lbs :blink:

Nevermind...

Edited by czny
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steptoe said:

If I chucked my first and second GLA sets out, I don't deserve another set ! Besides, I don't think EA82 fit EA81, which is likely why they went.

From your photo I can see a few U bolt design issues coming up....forewarned is 4armed

Wasn't certain they'd fit your EA81 & if no one wants them, I'll strip them of brgs & hardware then scrap them.

Here's another pic to help your bracket fab before they go.

ux4lLu.jpg