Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Forester low oil light issue

Searched threads and hadn't yet found anything, so I apologize ahead of time if it's been covered.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!

2014 Forester -- already experienced the oil consumption issue (requiring a new short block), then rear wheel bearings, then hydraulic bar for rear hatch . . . basically, a lot of issues, so far.

Has 140,000, currently.

For past 4-5 months, oil light has come on at random times -- sometimes, upon ignition, sometimes after a few minutes, other times only after driving awhile (20+ minutes), sometimes not at all. Oil is changed, regularly -- sometimes by dealer (if I'm down that way and I have a coupon), other times by me.  I check it, on occasion, but at no time was it excessively low.  I did add one quart at one time where it may have been needing a quart, but that's it.  The car WAS very sluggish upon accelerating from a stop, though, some months back.  When I brought it in, they said there was too MUCH oil which was causing that.  They cleaned things up and did the oil change, and that was it.  The light issue continued, though.

NOW, the dealer tells me that in order to assess the issue, they need to strip down the engine just to locate the oil sensor -- approx. $550!!  I contacted Subaru directly, and although I like to think I have good communication and persuasion skills, Subaru said NO assistance (given the 140,000 miles on it).  This BLOWS!

I'm looking to NOT spend all that simply to check whether it's the sensor, of course, while also wanting to get another 140,000 miles out of the car (like I hear about on the commercials).  Given the earlier issue with the oil consumption and new short block, am I risking that something else serious is going on . . . or do I just ignore it?  I guess I know the answer, but wanted to hear what other experiences anyone has had.  Again, thanks for any suggestions/insight!

Learn to use the dipstick. Regularly - such as every time you fill it with gas. Ignore the light - it's there for morons that can't remember to use the dipstick. 

I don't see that it has been all that unreliable for you. Subaru gave you a new short block and you have done some wheel bearings and hatch struts. That's NOT significant cost of ownership for 140k. 

$550 to pull off the upper oil pan is not that much at the typical $130 / hour dealer rates. A few hours of labor, cleaning, and resealing. Being an intermittent issue though there is no guarantee it's a problem with the sensor. It might be, and if it is it's probably related to the short block replacement. Only testing will tell. 

I can tell you that your expectations of repair costs, cost of ownership, and modern vehicle overall reliability are too high. It sounds like its time to saddle up with a new car payment and have that warranty security blanket. Or learn to do some troubleshooting and repair on your own. 

GD

• Like 3

Just check the oil regularly and ignore the light.  Or sell the car to someone at a lowball price and buy something newer and get back into car payments.  Good thing you don't have an older version with a timing belt that requires replacement at 105k miles to the tune of a few hundred dollars (all owner pay).

I have a 2008 Impreza that the PO sold for $800 and bought a new car because it needed about $2400 in dealer work (oil seeping head gaskets).  Less than $200 for plugs/wires/coil and a used AF sensor and it was back on the road. I ignored the HGs (check the oil frequently). The PO now has $500+/month car payments for 5 years because $2400 was too expensive for them

Edited by Mike104
  • Like 1

Thanks for the insight and suggestions.  I'm tempted to do a trade-in, but really don't want to start making monthly payments right now.  If I can get away with checking the oil, and maintaining things with good old regular maintenance, I'll go for that.  I just don't want it to indicate something worse that's taking place, like something that can damage the engine.  When I changed the oil, this weekend, I looked for any leaking oil, and didn't see anything either under the hood or from underneath.  Any chance the engine would NOT be getting enough oil -- in other words, would the indicator mean anything OTHER than either: A) low oil, or B) a faulty sensor?  Again, thx.