Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think not.  use car-part.com to check compatibility.

2001 Subaru Outback (Legacy)
Transmission

AT, 2.5L, Brighton
AT, 2.5L, GT
AT, 2.5L, L model
AT, 2.5L, Outback
AT, 2.5L, SUS
AT, 3.0L, vehicle dynamic control
AT, 3.0L, w/o vehicle dynamic control
MT, GT
MT, Outback
MT, exc. GT and Outback

23 minutes ago, sirtokesalot said:

I do know the 2001 h6 llbean car is not CDC I'm not sure the transmission number the 2 cars are at a friends house where I'll be doing the work.

You're car is currently 4.44. LL Bean is 4.11.  So, if you swap to the 4.11 diff to match yes it will.

BUT!!!........The taller gearing will make the car feel less powerful off the line, and during hills and towing.  It may improve Highway gas mileage as the trade off.

Also, the TCU may or may not have a problem with seeing the wrong RPMs vs. VSS readings.  Also, the shifts may try to happen too early, as they would be mapped for 4.44.  Differences in clutch pack specs for 4cy vs. 6cyl may also cause shifts to feel clunky or laggy.....not sure but since the differences in the trans are there, it's possible.

Not sure if the wiring would allow swapping TCUs to match.  It might.  But then also the H6 TCU may want a different type of TPS signal.....again not sure.

Basically, yes it will drive if you swap diffs.

The nuances about how well it will actually perform and if you'll be happy are hard to parse.

I would find a good 4 Cyl Outback or Forester trans.

6 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

You're car is currently 4.44. LL Bean is 4.11.  So, if you swap to the 4.11 diff to match yes it will.

BUT!!!........The taller gearing will make the car feel less powerful off the line, and during hills and towing.  It may improve Highway gas mileage as the trade off.

Also, the TCU may or may not have a problem with seeing the wrong RPMs vs. VSS readings.  Also, the shifts may try to happen too early, as they would be mapped for 4.44.  Differences in clutch pack specs for 4cy vs. 6cyl may also cause shifts to feel clunky or laggy.....not sure but since the differences in the trans are there, it's possible.

Not sure if the wiring would allow swapping TCUs to match.  It might.  But then also the H6 TCU may want a different type of TPS signal.....again not sure.

Basically, yes it will drive if you swap diffs.

The nuances about how well it will actually perform and if you'll be happy are hard to parse.

I would find a good 4 Cyl Outback or Forester trans.

well do u think it would be as bad as a 2.2 running on a 3.90 final drive? my current setup is a 1998 outback with a1995 legacy L engine and trans using the outback tcu. im ok if its a lil slow im mainly concerned about driveability and hope it would be a little faster than my current car.

Edited by sirtokesalot

On 9/17/2019 at 10:44 AM, 3Pin said:

I think not.  use car-part.com to check compatibility.

2001 Subaru Outback (Legacy)
Transmission

AT, 2.5L, Brighton
AT, 2.5L, GT
AT, 2.5L, L model
AT, 2.5L, Outback
AT, 2.5L, SUS
AT, 3.0L, vehicle dynamic control
AT, 3.0L, w/o vehicle dynamic control
MT, GT
MT, Outback
MT, exc. GT and Outback

How do you find this info on car-part.com? I am searching for compatible models for an '08 Impreza, and this would be extremely useful for me right now! 

well today i did the swap the transmission is bolted in there now. i forgot thefluid here at home so did not fill it yet. will it cause damage to the 4.11 transmission if i were to run it with the 4.44 diff with the fwd fuse installed? id like to try to drive it before i swap the diff over as well just to find out if it all works before spending that extra effort. would like to figure it out before morning. im planning to go up there again tomarrow to finish it.

Edited by sirtokesalot

well im getting ready to head back to the car to finish up. i guess ill just swap the diff and hope this transmission works out. wish i knew if i could drive it with the wrong diff and fwd fuse first to find out if it will work before doing the effort of changing the diff. but id rather not cause damage and i just dont know if it will with the fwd fuse in or not.

Edited by sirtokesalot

heres the results. i did change the diff the transmission does work and does not set any codes seems to drive ok with light throttle/normal driving but under heavy throttle/acceleration scenarios it has some really funky shifts. engine can pull the gears ok doesn't seem to be slipping or struggling too hard. seems like i can drive it though until i find another good transmission. in the end this did not cost anything but time the h6 transmission and diff was free

On 9/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, sirtokesalot said:

does anyone know if the transmission from a 2005 forester would work in my 2001 outback? i found a transmission for 100 bucks from a rollover with 71,000 on it. i dont really get that website.

I think they would be too different. certainly the transfer valve and solenoid would have to be swapped, but worse I think the '05 forester had a much more electronic 4EAT.

11 hours ago, 3Pin said:

A used trans is usually not that expensive.  IMHO, I would sell the free trans you have and buy the right one for your car.  Just saying. that is what I might do.  

ive been looking i jsut dont have cash for one currently. exploring my options. i was almost going to trade the 1998 impreza for a low mile trans but then realized it was a 2006 transmission and wouldent have worked. yes i would trade a running car for a transmission exp when said car was a free car. i do know i could get more by selling it and buying a transmission but it needs more work before i would sell it.

Edited by sirtokesalot

10 minutes ago, sirtokesalot said:

is there any reason to fear a transmission that was stored outside with the axle stubs in and tail sealed? i found a 100 dollar 123,000 mile 4.11 legacy transmission.

Bugs and animals leave debris and weather exposure. Probably fine but there’s definitely room for stuff to happen. 

How long has it sat and where?  10 years on a weedy, shaded, over grown, cluttered side of a building is different from a clean, dry area with less debris, vegetation, etc. 

Ok just want to be sure I found a 2004 outback trans now for 150 the 2004 trans will work right? I dont k ow the ratio on this one thogh I'm guessing 4.44 I can look ot up later. I have both 4.11 and 4.44rear diffs

The transmission I found is tz1a4zceba-3k 

I'm not sure the original but it will be going into a 2001 outback hope to hear from someone before this afternoon want to pick this up tonite

Edited by sirtokesalot