Ultimate Subaru Message Board

8 hours ago, heartless said:

i would not risk it - look at the axle stubs.. ugh

So pop them out and use ones from current trans.....what's the big deal.

Same with the selectro switch.  No reason to be weary of a trans that sat outside, as long as it was seald.  

Drain the oil from it, see if it looks clear or like strawberry quick.  Clear fluid......should be fine.  As good as a trans that sat in a car int eh yard for the same # of years.

16 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

So pop them out and use ones from current trans.....what's the big deal.

Same with the selectro switch.  No reason to be weary of a trans that sat outside, as long as it was seald.  

Drain the oil from it, see if it looks clear or like strawberry quick.  Clear fluid......should be fine.  As good as a trans that sat in a car int eh yard for the same # of years.

i passed on the 100 dollar one that was outside. the one i was asking about was the one i just bought so i hope it works. it has only been off the car for a few weeks and was kept in a garage i bought it from a subaru tech and it came from a 2004 outback 2.5 according to the info its a 4.44 transmission and should work just like the original im hoping. has 146,000 on it. ill know wensday if i made the right choice when i put the new transmission in

Edited by sirtokesalot
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, sirtokesalot said:

Ok just want to be sure I found a 2004 outback trans now for 150 the 2004 trans will work right? I dont k ow the ratio on this one thogh I'm guessing 4.44 I can look ot up later. I have both 4.11 and 4.44rear diffs

The transmission I found is tz1a4zceba-3k 

I'm not sure the original but it will be going into a 2001 outback hope to hear from someone before this afternoon want to pick this up tonite

If you put a 2004 into a 2001 you will need to pull the tailshaft and swap over the transfer solenoid valve and the valve itself.

16 hours ago, sirtokesalot said:

can anyone confirm if the transmission tz1a4zceba-3k  is in fact a 4.44? i would really hate to put it together tomorrow with the 4.44 rear diff then blow it up from a wrong ratio issue.

I saw one on a part out that said it was a 4 cyl outback so that would indicate 4.44

also at

https://mmerlinn.com/catalog/lucy1063650/jt_r22/jtr22010.htm

gives "tz1a4zceba as 4.44444444 (40/9 ring/pinion)

Legacy Baja/Baja-5 Pick-up Truck 0201-0306
Legacy Outback Limited Sedan/Wagon 0201-0306
Legacy Outback Cold Weather Wagon 0201-0306
Legacy Outback Wagon 0201-0306
4x4, H4-25
Bell = Z4J
Case = <>, Screw-on oil filter
Tail = 052140
Top valve body = 214086
Center valve body = 214088
Bottom valve body = NF001
Cheese plate = SG
Ring gear = 40 teeth <A-A>
Pinion shaft = 9 teeth >B<
Rear sun =

3 hours ago, CNY_Dave said:

If you put a 2004 into a 2001 you will need to pull the tailshaft and swap over the transfer solenoid valve and the valve itself.

It came from a car with a build date of 01/2003 does this need to be done so it hard to do and can it be done with it in the car? I can say that I drove it and it seemed fine. There's no warning lights on.

Edited by sirtokesalot

13 hours ago, sirtokesalot said:

It came from a car with a build date of 01/2003 does this need to be done so it hard to do and can it be done with it in the car? I can say that I drove it and it seemed fine. There's no warning lights on.

Yeah it’s easy to do in the car.  Pull exhaust, driveshaft and a couple bolts and the rear extension housing comes off.  

The 4WD works opposite in like 03+.  So either you got an earlier version trans or the difference is in the TCU...

What happens if you install the FWD fuse?

3 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Yeah it’s easy to do in the car.  Pull exhaust, driveshaft and a couple bolts and the rear extension housing comes off.  

The 4WD works opposite in like 03+.  So either you got an earlier version trans or the difference is in the TCU...

What happens if you install the FWD fuse?

im not sure i havent tried. i can say after i drove it for a bit i felt like it spun the front tires a few times it was raining but when i was at a friends house he let me pull it into his yard on the wet grass in a hill and i floored it and the car did not spin on the lawn it just bit down and went.

*edit* i just went out into the gravel driveway without fwd fuse front spins for a second then bites and goes with fwd fuse in the fwd light comes on and it tears the driveway up roasting the front tires only. i do think the awd is working.

Edited by sirtokesalot

so do i have to actually swap the valve or could i just swap the whole rear half of the case with the valve in it? im still not really sure if i need to but im guessing i should anyways while i have the transmission. ive been noticing some front wheel spin sometimes and been questioning if awd is working pr not. i think it is kind of because it wont keep spinning for long on wet grass but will spin sometimes on wet pavement and in gravel very easy. yet there is also a very noticeable difference between fwd fuse in and fwd fuse out so maby its just that im not used to the extra power and taller gears? i came from driving a 2.2 outback on 3.90 gear set to the 2.5 outback on 4.44.

and to update on this situation i decided to jack the front end up from the cross member under the engine and try to drive the car. it will push forward on just the rear wheels alone so i do think the awd is working and i did not change the rear solenoid valve. im not going to unless someone can give me a good reason too.

The way to tell is put in the FWD fuse- if that results in full lockup then it's backwards.

Test for lockup by putting fronts on wet grass and rears on pavement and poke the gas. If fronts don;t just spin it's locked up.

Test for FWD fuse deactivating is same but fronts should spin and you don;t move.

Also on mine when itr was backwards car would lurch after turning it off as the wound-up drivetrain relaxed.

Also when reversed mine when slick the fronts would spin then the rears would kick in harshly.

I think a 1/2003 trans is a 2003 so no swap would be required.