Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS Speed sensor 1995 Legacy

who told you it was a bad sensor causing the light?

there are any number of things that can cause the ABS light to come on. a bad sensor is just one of them

a quick check of wiring would be a good place to start - fairly common for one that old to have damaged wires going to a wheel sensor

The man I bought it from said his mechanic told him it was a sensor. I have had all 4 wheels off replacing wheel bearings and broken and damaged wheel studs and I didn't notice any damage to the exposed wiring.Is there a way to test the sensors and do the sensors on the rear wheels plug into something under the rear seat?

Edited by timh58
typed faster than I was thinking and forgot some words

As heartless said, download the service manual.

Each ABS Sensor should read 800 - 1,200 ohms.

If the light is on steady and unable to retrieve code, it might be the harness or ABS Control Module as stated in this copy from the Service Manual, Troubleshooting section.

No trouble code.jpg

you can test the ohms of resistance at the plugs. all the sensors should be real close to each other. The bad one probably wont have a reading .

THe ringer is that they can be good but the part that sticks out can be bent or broken off and not giving the computer a signal

My abs light was intermittently on when I would put the car in reverse.  I checked the rear taillights and one of teh bulbs was not correct.  After making them the same brand and type. The sensor light is off.

Weird, but wanted to share.

• Like 1

loogic23, I have had all 4 wheels off and the sensors appear to be whole and straight as soon as I have a chance I will ohm the sensors out. 3Pin my light is on continuously and it doesn't matter if thee car is in P, R or D but thanks for your input.