Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'80 Wagon 4wd Engine Options?

Pinhead

Hello all, first post.

My first car was a yellow '80 4wd Wagon. The thing went everywhere. Even used it to feed cattle in the winter time. During an unfortunate interstate outing, however, the 1.6L gave up the ghost.

I've been dreaming lately to find an engine to drop into it and get the old thing going again. What little I've been able to find, though, tells me it's all but impossible to find parts and/or engines.

What are the options for getting it going? Is there a newer engine swap that will attach to the factory 4-speed? Bell housing adapter, perhaps?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

18 minutes ago, KiwiGL said:

If it's a 1.6 it's the ea71. If the starter is on top, then you need another similar ea71. If the starter is on the side though, you can put either another ea71, ea81 or even an ea82 in it. A carbed ea82 will drop right in.

It's definitely a 1.6L. I believe the starter is on top. I'll have to look at it a little closer; it's been years since I've opened the hood.

Would an EA82 engine + transmission drop in as well?

That’s going to have the side starter. 

Lots of options if you care to search. Most folks are going to upgrade to a 90-95 EJ22 , but you’ll have to go by budget , availability , time you’re willing to devote , space to work , etc.

Not experienced but I think the EA82 will fit but be very tight as I recall. Archives will tell you. 

Did meet a guy who drove a long way to off-road / meet with other USMB member and his Gen II Brat has the XT6 engine stuffed into it.

• Thanks 1

My '77 coupe has an EZ30. Lots work there., But point is you really can do anything if you have some skills, time and access to metal.

EA81 will drop in with relative ease. Some crossmember work, depending on trans choice. And steering clearance check.  I would recommend using one for a quicker route to more acceptable 'Daily Driver' power.

EA82 needs trans crossmember and engine mount hole widening. The engine will technically fit, but the front frame rails will be 'uncomfortably' close. Hitting the accelerator hard can bash the plastic timing belt guard if the mounts are not perfect... Which they are not. EA82 trans is almost guaranteed to hit the steering rag joint. With that engine getting to the distributor is a pain around the brake master cylinder. If your particular Master cylinder has the lines aiming straight down, you will have to switch it to one with them aiming to the right. 

Can't directly state as to the EJ, never done it. However you likely need most, if not all, of the mods required to run EA82, as they measure close in size.

Edited by charles_thomas
Derp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, charles_thomas said:

EA81 will drop in with relative ease. Some crossmember work, depending on trans choice. And steering clearance check.  I would recommend using one for a quicker route to more acceptable 'Daily Driver' power.

Will the EA81 bolt to the EA71 (side starter) transmission?

Edited by Pinhead

I've been searching through the forum and reading old topics and have seen it mentioned numerous times that the 4-speed is junk; "find a 5 speed dualrange from a newer GL and throw it in." I've also looked at a few DIY lifts and I'm fairly certain I could pull that off.

"If you're going lifted, get an '85-'89 part-time 4WD dual range transmission. Much better offroad performance. It'll bolt up to the EA82, but you will need an adapter plate for the EJ22."

I assume what I'd be looking for in this case is the "newer GL" from '85-'89. Are there any other models that have this same transmission that I should keep my eyes open for? What is the technical designation for this transmission so I can do some more in-depth research?

Otherwise, staying with the factory 4-speed would mean staying with the EA71 or installing a bolt-in EA81 (provided it is, indeed, the side-starter "fat case" transmission).

Youtube is a bad place to go when you're looking for "swap" ideas on old Subarus... There are way too many ideas floating around my head now.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, DaveT said:

Do keep in mind, anything EA82 and older is getting to be hard to find parts for.  More and more go NLA both OEM and aftermarket. 

DaveT isn't kidding. Luckily I managed to stockpile a few parts from an old GL and DL that met their demise, and have a parts car although it's only FWD. Even more common parts are getting harder to find now. I just put on new brake drums and could only find them at oreillys or ebay. Ebay search turns up very little results and OEM is almost nonexistent now.

It seems I have access to a 2.2 with bad head gaskets and an '86 FWD Leone.

That means I can attach the 1.8 out of the '86 to my 4-speed (if it's the side-starter).

Or I can go all out and install the 2.2, though from what I understand the 4-speed won't last long with the extra power of the 2.2L engine.

Decisions, decisions...