Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 gl turbo wagon running rich

oczuk32

Now you tell us !! :)

I use a bar led display unit tapped into my O2 sensor. These connections and taps are supposed to be crimp not soldered as needs to be some reference or something through the wiring ...all voodoo I don't understand

I only expect those richer readings while boosting, cruise and light throttle and idle can be closer to stoich and run nice

i also use tailpipe anal iser and when I screwed it's sensor behind turbo I got crazy readings all over the place

14.7 (or the stoichiometric ratio for a gasoline engine) is fine for cruising in any gasoline engine.  It's under power where a turbo engine will typically want a more rich air/fuel ratio than a normally asperated engine, and Subarus in particular have a pretty poor BSFC, so they tend to run even more rich than your typical turbo tuner car.

1 hour ago, Steptoe said:

Keep in mind that the wet fuel gasoline also has a cooling effect the richer the mixture, keeping it on the leaner side of rich for boosting may be better for keeping the heat in the turbo to get best boost advantage?????

And for melting pistons. Hence why the rich mixture - helps cool the piston. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 10/1/2019 at 10:21 AM, el_freddo said:

And for melting pistons. Hence why the rich mixture - helps cool the piston. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yeah, rich while under boost, but under cruise, idle,reverse and light load nothing is gonna burn pistons. 

Adjusted fuel mixture how mister?

39 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Yeah, rich while under boost, but under cruise, idle,reverse and light load nothing is gonna burn pistons

Correct. I should’ve said I meant under boost conditions. 

39 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Adjusted fuel mixture how mister?

That’s the ECU’s job. Non tunable so you’re stuck with the factory tune unless you go aftermarket management. Our task is to ensure all sensors are working correctly so the ECU can do its thing correctly. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Great stuff. Even better is that you did it ! The world will love you

Be interesting to see if you find better fuel use

Yes the fuel.. This wagon loves its 91 octane gas and ain't cheap here in California. Its $4.89 a gallon of gas.

Edited by oczuk32

49 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Is that a 4,000 ml gallon or 3,880 ml gallon? I have seen US gallons expressed as both options. We have 4,540 ml gallons in Oz which makes our gallon about $6.50 AUD and our current dollar buys about 68 US cents

Which then equates to about $4.11 US. So we’re better off by a bit of a margin. Who would’ve thought?? (That is provided 91 is their highest rated fuel for domestic use)

Cheers 

Bennie