Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to pull new rear bearing hub on to axle

kmpdx

Hey guys. got everything apart and got the bearing pressed in at a shop. The question is how to get the shaft stub pulled back on to the axle. I followed this guide and was able to get the passenger side one done using the hammer method shown in the tutorial here:

I tried to do it the same  way and could not get that sucker to work.

I guess I am wondering if there is a tool that I could use to make it easier. My plan at this point is to try the hammer method again but with a larger washer under the castle bolt and a helper to line up the shaft by moving it around while I pull.

Any other tips? Should I partially put the bolts in? Any ideas or tips?

Here is a picture of the shaft:

shaft.thumb.jpg.1a82552b587ec18a70bea95fc9e14eb5.jpg

shaft.thumb.jpg.1a82552b587ec18a70bea95fc9e14eb5.jpg

Sorry the picture is on there twice, LOL

Thanks!

kmpdx

Remove the cotter pin and take the stub axle off the CV shaft. 

Go to a bench or a big solid block of wood and hit the axle from behind - with another’s block of wood between the stub axle and the BFH.

Or use the threads of the shaft to act like a hydraulic press to pull the stub axle through the hub. You’ll need a way to transmit the force from the nut to the hub - something to go between theses that you can make larger as you run out of thread on the stub axle. 

Personally, I remove the CV shaft and do the bearings with the swing axle on the vehicle.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

So I am not sure exactly what vehicle this is on as it doesn't state, but if this is an older gen 4wd like my loyale, the axle shaft is splined on the back side and connects to the cv axle via rollpin. Looking at your pictures, im guessing the bearing has been pressed into the hub but the axle wasn't pressed into the bearing. I've replaced both of my rears, and always press the bearing onto the shaft. Then I put the shaft/bearing assembly into the hub (typically you can tap it with a rubber mallet and the entire bearing/shaft assembly will go in fairly easily.) Tighten the locknut with inner seal down on the back, snug the spindle nut finger tight, return the hub assembly into the vehicle, and once everything is back together and the vehicle is lowered, torque the spindle nut to spec. I'm sure you could try hammering the axle into the bearing as you stated, but you run the risk of damaging the new bearing with the force needed to press the bearing onto the axle.

If you take a small punch and knock the roll pin out to disconnect the cv from the shaft, it makes it alot easier working with that little booger. Just be sure you keep the hole marked which side goes with which. If you line the axle up on the opposite hole of the shaft, it is just a fraction off inside and the roll pin won't go back in. Happy wrenching.

Capture+_2019-09-21-01-59-01.png

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Well I wish I had known about the roll pin. I will try to take it out and get the shaft into the bearing. If it's messed up I will just have to redo it with the bearings on the shaft.

I will follow up and let you know how it went in a couple of days. 

Thanks!

kmpdx

1 hour ago, kmpdx said:

Hey guys,

Well, I got the shaft into the bearing. Unfortunately, I bent the roll pin trying to get it back in. I need another pin. Does anybody have a part number or can advise me where I might find one? 

Thanks!

kmpdx

I have a set of generic clip hardware I got from autozone(has clevis pins, snap rings, roll pins, etc.) and the larger roll pin is perfect for these axles. I destroyed mine getting it out last time and replaced it with no problem. I will try and get you the info on the assortment as soon as I step out to my shop. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Got the pin in and the bearing and everything back together. Guess what? Bearing is fixed! The Loyale is ready to roll again. Really appreciate the help and if you see a gray Loyale around Portland with silver hood and liftgate, that's me!

Thanks!

kmpdx

• Like 2