Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rock hard clutch (SOLVED: Pedal box)

fuji4x4

I’m in Australia too and I know that panel (plastic) above the driver’s feet as a kick panel. It’s there to tidy up loose wiring from interfering with the driver’s feet. It probably does a small job of reducing the driver’s feet ending up in the dashboard during a crash - at least it does in newer vehicles! 

And yes, it’s tight in there but isn’t too bad overall. 

Cheers 

Bennie

51 minutes ago, rae houghton said:

In Australia the steering shaft is right between and over the clutch and brake pedal.  Tricky tricky.  but i like the idea that a plate could be on the inside of the engine compartment and have it removeable. They should do that for all cars....or at least make is so it can be loose and hands can get in from the other side.  Must write Subaru

Kick panel down under usual refers to the panel on the outer side edge of each footwell.

Trying to recall how I did my EA81 cables, but keep finding myself in a fetal position on the floor or just similar but upright and rocking on my bum :(

Turn the music up, banish all visitors, lock yourself in shed, remove drivers seat ( it is EA81 body not spacious EA82)

The plastic panel above your feet - give it a name of your own- remove it's screws up front , two of, unclip from above brake pedal and near bonnet release. Look forward for four 12 mm nuts that hold brake booster and pedal box together

Disconnect ACC cable above pedal, may need to release at carb first - yes you do.

Two 12 mm bolts securing steering column to pedal box front

Disconnect the safety pin connector at brake pedal, booster rod.

Twist pedal box out gently pulling clutch cable through.

This tricky task makes clutch cable install a dream.

or find little kid with both a technical bent and strong fingers and do cable in place without pedal box removal, but then you may discover box has break, cracks and flex

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 7:31 PM, rae houghton said:

When you suggest it is the PP...is that because you think the PP is worn beyond recommended limits. (excuse my ignorance)?

I was saying PB, short for pedal box. So I apologise for confusing anyone. But yes if you push in your clutch pedal with your hand and you see it flexing or cracking the pedal box at all. That is your problem. I've found out that any play what so ever makes it nearly impossible to actuate the clutch. And as for getting down there yeah it's super tight and you have to take that "kick panel" (I just call it the under dash) and then if you end up taking the pedal box out I had to remove my gas pedal bc it wouldn't come over the steering with it on. 

Edited by fuji4x4

Steptoe (and others) ....a very good introduction to tricky removal process.

I took the seat out. thus I could get my body laid back and looking up at assembly ....partially blocked by steering column shaft. But could see end of clutch cable in place.

My hands are smallish....but taking out entire assembly may be the go.

thanks for instructions. (my service manual gets a bit complicated sometimes )

• Like 2

I've had this site in my bookmarks for several years. It might be helpful. There are many models & years to choose from

SubaruPartsDeal.com - Genuine Subaru Parts

When it comes to new GL Series OEM parts at the lowest prices, we've been the top choice for decades. Our complete online catalog covers all Subaru genuine GL Series parts and accessories. All parts are backed by the manufacturer's warranty and shipped directly from Subaru dealers. No matter where you are in the country, your GL Series car parts will arrive fast, cheap, and hassle-free.

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/