Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition timing help

Espey16

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Figured it out. 5+ years of owning this car and it not idling while it's cold, you guys would want to punch me in the head. MAF was bad. I had a code, and I cleaned it and the housing, no dice. Bought a reman from rockauto and now it idles cold. Idles finds rough though.

I was thinking the timing was off because I timed it with a  bad MAF, but I re timed it and adjusted the idle and its still running a little rough. Timing shakes around 20* btdc and the idle will bounce between 1k and almost dead. Im trying to get it to idle around the 700 mark.

• 2 months later...

Still idles rough, and dies at times. Sometimes the idle bounces between 1000 and 1500 rpms. I cleared the codes and there was no difference. I know I need to calibrate my tps, I just can't find the proper size feeler gauges.

Its brand new, and I just re tensioned the belts a couple weeks ago. Im fairly certain its the tps thats the problem now. When I replaced it I tried to line it up the best I could with the marks on the old one. It wasn't perfect but it runs.

is it better IMMEDIATELY after a battery disconnect reset? if so, that could point to a bad sensor. If not, the problem could be something physical; valve problem or injector problem or ????

the ECU ignores sensor readings for a coupla drive cycles after a reset, it just reverts to using a factory baseline ROM with nominal values.

in theory - lol

• Like 1

Going on twelve months here....

Crude I know, if you can physically hold throttle by hand, against its throttle stop and still have its idle crazy it won't be the throttle plate adjustment.

It almost needs to be fast idle control circuit or a device within it

Or

EGR make a block off plate for diagnostic needs. I had wicked idle and performance issues until I blocked off then replaced MPFi EGR

Or brake vacuum booster is another source for a fast idle air control ..comes under vacuum leak suggestion 

Get some caps to blank off all possible vacuum leaks to inlet manifold only while not driving it of course

Vacuum leaks don't really often? cause big idle rev differences with smooth idle, more rough idle