Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a Clearbra worth it / needed for protection from paint damage?

Just bought a 2019 Outback and I'm wondering how badly the paint gets chipped and dinged?  Most of my driving will be local roads (say 70%), highway (25%) and infrequent offroad (maybe 5%).  For those who have had a 5th Gen Outback, have you noticed your paint getting chipped and damaged?   On what areas?  Do you get many chips in the mid to upper hood area? What type of roads are you driving?   I'm trying to figure out how much coverage to get if I do decide to wrap it.  Also, I've got the Subaru mudflaps installed, but they seem near worthless (based only on size and assumed ability to provide any real protection).  Anybody seeing much chipping going on behind their wheel wells? 

Anybody have paint damage to their car and wished they would have done a clear bra to avoid the damage?  Or are most people seeing light marks and its no big deal?

Thanks for any input on what type of paint damage and where, and

I used to work at a place that installed clear bras in boulder, Co which has tons of subarus of nearly all vintages and styles and very few would come in for clear bras. 

It was mostly the guys with a newer audi or BMW who wanted the clear bras because they planned on keeping the car for about a decade then they can remove the bra in case they decided to sell.

I personally don't think that a clear bra is worth the money and effort to maintain  (should use polish and wax just like on the paint, but no rubbing compound) unless you plan on lowering your car and driving aggressively in the city and storing the car out of the sun mostly. If anything is neglected then you'll see the line become more and more apparent until you remove it and use rubbing compound or wet sand to blend the fresh paint under the bra with the rest. And if a hole gets poked in it don't lolly gag, it has to come off. Moisture gets trapped and you know the rest. 

On the other hand, your car is basically brand new, and a clear bra is cheap $125 or so with a 10 year warranty was our deal. A freshly purchased car should receive at least $500 or $1000 worth of upgrades to suit you.

If you don't need window tint or a set of snow tires spend a little on the stereo and the clear bra.

And have fun please drive her silly in the snow and go camping often

sparky - I have a very old one on my WRX and now it looks like a grey jigsaw puzzle. How would you get it off?

3M says they have a lifetime / w'ever warranty, but I guess that's for the stick-on part?

clear coat is flaking off my scoop anyway so, I'm considering using a pressure washer. If I damage the paint, probably getting a respray anyway....

@1 Lucky Texan

If you know, or can find out where the clear bra was installed you can maybe finagle your way into a new one...just tell the guys that did the install that x number of years ago (do a little research and find out if the shop opened after your wrx was 9 or 10 years younger, so you don't claim they installed before they existed haha) you sent your ex girlfriend or buddy or step child there to have the bra installed and you can't recall if they paid with their credit card, yours, or cash. If they're halfway cool then they should at least remove your old one for free.

The 3m bras we used too, but it's only commercialy available so any warranty replacements we would inform 3m and they would discount the next order. I am unaware of any private parties getting a replacement from them.

If they tell you to get lost, grab about 10 or 15 plastic razor blades and a handle, and a heat gun will get that thing off with about an hour of work. You'll probably also need a solvent for the adhesive residue, wd40 is a safe bet, but any stubborn gunk will come off with goof off or goo gone or that super expensive 3m adhesive remover. It's actually only $35 a can, but a little can of goof off is like $10 at home depot. So just expensive in comparison. 

Then some agreesive rubbing compound for the oxidized clear coat or for an extreme case, 1500 grit sandpaper and wet sand with soapy water or spray wax should have you set up nicely. 

There is actually an ideal situation for you in boulder, the shop I worked at (I did super sweet stereos!) changed ownership about a year ago, so they dunno, they'll probably hook you up just to avoid any bad reviews lol! 

Us sube guys can get away with such minor dishonesty cause we generally build lots of good karma with the car gods by pulling a 2wd truck outta the snow, pushing a kids dead datsun outta traffic, or my favorite way to gain favor with plieades, seeing a bum with a sign while I happen to be puff puffing so I'll pass to him. Makes their day every time! Haha!

It's funny this subject has been brought up, I got the job by randomly noticing, and complimenting their very first shop car, an 88 gl when I was walking my dog. I was just buttoning up my ej swap on my 86 gl at the time, 3 years ago. They gave me that car free after 14 years of service with them, 4 with a bad head gasket and I am starting the ej swap on that car tonight.