Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 2.2 I swapped into a 89 GL died. :| seeking EJ25 options clarification.

biggreen96

A few years back I did a lifted 89 GL and put a 1997 Impreza 2.2 engine and 5mt into it. Engine is knocking now and compression is low on a couple cyls. 

Being that it's has a 97 2.2, I should be able to put a ej25 in there without much trouble. 

I'm having trouble clearly finding the answer to which years are the best "easy" swaps. I'm not concerned with HG issues or anything, it's just a fun car, non-daily.   

1997–1999 EJ25D plugs right in? Maybe some slight rewiring/repining of connectors? 

98 - 05 EJ251  is a map based engine and needs the Ej22 intake manifold and cam sprockets? 

I know this is the 34,254th thread about this but sorting through them all is :banghead: I appreciate any insights. 

Edited by biggreen96

Get an 00-04 EJ25 block (or 99 forester or Impreza) and bolt your EJ22 heads to it.  

if you’re still amped to install the worst block Subaru ever made.....

All 1996-1998 EJ25s and 1999 Legacy and Outback EJ25s. It’s that simple, if you have to ask a question, don’t, it’s unimportant. Just follow that list. 

Its only “complicated” (but not) when going the other way because of the variations of EJ22s. EJ25s don’t have all those variations, all of those listed EJ25s are easily interchangeable.

97 EJ22 is single port so you’ll need a dual port exhaust manifold. 

If EGR doesn’t match you’ll get a check engine light but it doesn’t matter, runs and drives fine.  That is easy to work around anyway.  

Edited by idosubaru

Right on thank you! I was hoping you would chime in, you have some knowledge! I am amped to get a bit more torque, but I'm saving my 93 Sport Sedan ej22 turbo motor for something else. Some would say that's Subaru's best block they ever made! 

Slapping the 97 heads on to the ej25 would certainly be doable since I'd be doing the HGs too of course. Do you suggest the head swap for the ease of reusing the 97 exhaust? 

I do have access to a wrecked 02 Forester that still has all it's drivetrain and exhaust. So I'm not opposed to using the dualport ej25 exhaust manifold if dropping the whole ej25 longblock is "plug and play". 

EGR wont match since the 97 ej22 is a manual trans car, and all ej25 have EGR IIRC?