Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Convert FWD to RWD and keep 4x4 Brumby

Simply put, no.

But if you could work out how to fit floating front hubs that are manually engaged, then yes. But you’ll always be powering the front diff.

Once you’ve done the front end, you’ll need to stiffen up the rear end to make it go the distance and last for a long time. 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

Simply put, no.

But if you could work out how to fit floating front hubs that are manually engaged, then yes. But you’ll always be powering the front diff.

Once you’ve done the front end, you’ll need to stiffen up the rear end to make it go the distance and last for a long time. 

Cheers 

Bennie

That’s a shame :/ thanks for the suggestion though, I’ll look into the floating hubs thing.

Anything is possible. But the transmission is not designed to not send power to the front wheels. It would take considerable custom machining and manufacturing to change that and keep the basic layout. Plenty of people have put a conventional truck (Nissan, usually) transfer case behind the stock transmission, and then an extra rear diff mounted under the transmission as a front diff. This requires a considerable lift and a lot of fabrication.

1 hour ago, Cinereus said:

I’ve decided to use the WRX STI gearbox to turn it into an AWD with manual diff lockers for off-roading and using the DCCD run it with RWD bias for on road. Hopefully that makes sense and it’ll work, not 100% sure yet I’m not a mechanic :p

DCCD is very strong, but it's still no locker. No locker available for the front, and only automatic lockers available for r160 or r180 rear diffs. To get a manual locker in the rear, you'll have to swap out a different rear diff, which will have to be a perfect match for the front diff (best is 4.444, almost non-existant for a 6-speed, but available for the 5-speed).

Then you'll need custom/hybrid front axles. Custom mounts, custom linkage. Hydraulic clutch pedal conversion.

Not to mention an EJ engine. And you loose low range.

All completely doable, but a serious amount of work if you really just want RWD instead of FWD.

25 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

DCCD is very strong, but it's still no locker. No locker available for the front, and only automatic lockers available for r160 or r180 rear diffs. To get a manual locker in the rear, you'll have to swap out a different rear diff, which will have to be a perfect match for the front diff (best is 4.444, almost non-existant for a 6-speed, but available for the 5-speed).

Then you'll need custom/hybrid front axles. Custom mounts, custom linkage. Hydraulic clutch pedal conversion.

Not to mention an EJ engine. And you loose low range.

All completely doable, but a serious amount of work if you really just want RWD instead of FWD.

The more I thought about trying for RWD the less I wanted it. That explains why I’ve only seen brumby’s off-road with no front lockers.

Edited by Cinereus

I see you’re in Bendigo. We should catch up and talk shop. 

You can check out Ruby Scoo too - once I get her back from my folks who are dailying it while they get a new vehicle. They’re “loving” it :P 

You don’t need the wrx box, it’s just as strong as every other box out there in the EJ series (except the 6 speed). Get the SG Foz box from a 2L - a good start to build on. 

Cheers 

Bennie