Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 86' Gl-10 4x4 that has a blown headgasket and seized engine, I want to get the thing up and running again because I love driving it, but I also wanted to look at doing an EJ swap instead, what type of Ej is going to be the most straightforward for the swap, I want to keep my 5 speed in it, although I know I'll have to swap out the 4x4 hi/lo 5spd trans for a newer awd manual trans, what kind of tips and advice can you all offer?

Thanks for whatever help I get!

Keep your current trans if you want the dual range 4wd. If it’s on road traction you’re after and not 4wd capability, then go the AWD gearbox. 

Read up on the EJ conversion document that’s floating around here. Really any EJ engine will do the trick. Pick one that does NOT have factory security where the ECU talks to the key fob (for the want of a better description). This will make the wiring cut down so much easier to do. 

You’ll love the EJ! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Arsenal25boy said:

I have an 86' Gl-10 4x4 that has a blown headgasket and seized engine, I want to get the thing up and running again because I love driving it, but I also wanted to look at doing an EJ swap instead, what type of Ej is going to be the most straightforward for the swap, I want to keep my 5 speed in it, although I know I'll have to swap out the 4x4 hi/lo 5spd trans for a newer awd manual trans, what kind of tips and advice can you all offer?

Thanks for whatever help I get!

90's EJ22 are the easiest, and most durable engine choice.  130~135 HP, so plenty to move a GL around but not so much munch the rest of the drivetrain.  

You don't need to get an AWD trans if you get an adapter plate and redrilled flywheel.  Much easier actually than a full AWD swap where you have to make new shifter linkage and driveline and get turbo (25 spine) axles.......it's doable if you want.......good combo for lots of road driving with just some light snow/trails.    But for ease of swap, and best full off-road capability, keep your D/R 5- spd.  

• Thanks 1