Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 2008 impreza non-turbo with a stick.  Engine died on PO.    I am assuming the worst that a timing belt broke.  Looking for heads or an engine.  I am getting quotes for a vin 8 2.5 as it is a vin 8 2.5.  Will a vin 7 2.5 work as well?  Any other year engines a direct snap in with my 08 intake?

Edited by 3Pin
error in year

Like he said be ultra careful on removal and install.

Replace them. They’re dirt cheap from Subaru, egregiously puke oil when they leak which isn’t rare, and you’ll get clean new threads.  If you end up replacing the engine or heads, swap the new switches over. 

Two codes is too coincidental on a part that doesn’t often throw codes and on an already questionable engine.  Maybe two did fail, but I’d clear the codes and see if they come back or test them first. My guess is something like the engine took a dump due to compromised oil and those switches or the codes were collateral damage or artifacts of something else.  But hopefully that WAG is wrong and you find an easy fix. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a p0028 currrent and a p0026 pending with p0301, 303 and 304 misfires.  the oil is really dirty and overfilled.  I have a new filter, new synthetic oil and new vcs and a new oil pressure  switch.  We re going to drain the oil and take off old filter, clean the two vcs , swap in the new oil pressure switch, put in the new oil and filter and cross our fingers.  Hope it is an easy fix.

• Like 1

• 3Pin changed the title to 2008 Impreza

For those codes the first suggestion is to do an oil change (that you just did).  The oil pressure switches as mentioned leak oil and can easily crack the head if tightened too much.  I also remember reading a long thread about those codes where there are some small screens in the valve control solenoid (IIRC) that can get blocked and cause these codes.

For the misfire check for NGK plugs/wires and if needed swap in a used OEM coil from a pull and pay yard.  The aftermarket ones don't taste well for Subies.

Edited by Mike104
  • Thanks 1