Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ swap fuel pump

Hey everyone,

For those who have knowledge on the swap, what fuel pump is a good option to put in a Brat that is being swapped with an EJ engine? Inline is usually the way to go right?

Also if you have any tips and/or tricks on how to do this I have never done this before and could use some advice!

Thanks a ton!

I used an external efi fuel pump. Over here the VN commodore 5L V8 unit does the job easy. I’m sure stateside has something very similar. 

I enlarged my fuel line with the use of a supply line from another L series - the MPFI vehicle’s already have a larger return line, so the carb supply line fits the bill well as a return line. Most getaway without doing this though.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

Almost anything will work. The EJ22 had pretty mild fuel requirements. Just need something that'll handle fuel injection and inline mounting. I've used stock SPFI EA82 pumps, universal inline pumps, and once I used something for an '80s Ford Grand Squire wagon...

Being able to put a 90 degree fitting off one end (pressure end in stock config, IIRC) makes putting it in the stock location easiest.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, silverhelme said:

I started with the pump from a spfi Loyale and when that failed I replaced it with a late 80's f150 external pump CARTER P74028. 

+1 for carter. Did the same thing, ended with same result. The Carters actually have higher flow and pressure than required. I purchased a non-carter 'OEM replacement' pump off Amazon for $45, runs my EZ30 no problem. The fuel return line takes the excess back without issue, and because it is overpowered, should keep it (and injectors) from having to strain.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:24 AM, charles_thomas said:

+1 for carter. Did the same thing, ended with same result. The Carters actually have higher flow and pressure than required. I purchased a non-carter 'OEM replacement' pump off Amazon for $45, runs my EZ30 no problem. The fuel return line takes the excess back without issue, and because it is overpowered, should keep it (and injectors) from having to strain.

Does this carter fit in the pre existing location?

Yes and no. It does fit up front but it seems to run better if you place it Inline, closer to the tank. I am ruuning in a brat with a custom tank in the bed, and a coupe, which have the tank behind the rear seat. Pulling from under the hood worked, but seemed to get a little warm under the extra pull. I placed it under the seat area on the frame Under the floor, works perfect.