Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remove the head to block alignment straight pin

Hello all,

I'm having difficulty removing the pins. I've tried grabbing them with vise grips, and wiggling, and only managed to tear pieces off the pin. I've tried taping them, screwing in a bolt, and wiggling, and split the pin. I used a tap that was just slightly larger than the bolt hole, but didn't tap it in even as far as top the block. I'm thinking I'll go buy a more precise tap, smaller than the hole, larger than the pin, and try again.

They have been sprayed with PB Blaster. Any other tricks I can try on the other two? And tips on how to remove the broken pins? If it were a cast iron block, I'd heat them up and pull them out. But I don't think I want to do that with aluminum. 

Mike

2001 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0

ps - I'd swear someone in the past used a sealant, as I've never had this much of an issue removing a freakin' pin... :)

On 10/5/2019 at 5:19 AM, montana tom said:

Use a torch , just heat the pin. Beware melting the aluminum. 

Thanks. I was headed in that direction, but it would have been a last resort option for me. I ended up using a 12mm tap, and a bolt. I used a small lead weight and made a small slide hammer. They came out fairly easily.

Mike

21 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Find a socket that fits tight inside the dowel.

Then you can grab it tight with vice grips and wiggle it out.

I tried that, didn't work so well. I ended up using a 12mm tap, and a bolt. I used a small lead weight and made a small slide hammer. They came out fairly easily.

Mike

• Like 1