Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disabling seat belt chime causing other sensor issues?

ryank

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with other sensors AFTER disabling the seatbelt chime?  I had a 2014 impreza that I disabled the chime on and within a week or so three totally unrelated dashboard sensor lights came on (ABS, traction control, and down hill descent assist I believe).  I brought it to a dealer, still under warranty and they said the sensors failed and they replaced them.  Then I got a 2014 Crosstrek which I still have, I disabled the chimes in this car and the same three lights came on!  Same deal, dealer replaced them under warranty.

Recently I had a dead battery, replaced it and the seat belt chime came back on.  I'd like to disable the seat belt chime again but the fact that the other sensors went off on 2 different cars makes me nervous to do it as I am now out of warranty and don't want to pay for 3 replacement sensors.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Any work around?  Any idea where those sensors are and if they're easy to replace on your own?  Anything at all?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wear your seat belt.   If you have heavy stuff on the passenger setting off the chime, just connect the seat belt and it will stop.

Otherwise.  Wear your seatbelt.

I have not turned of the chime for seat belts.  But I did disable the beep for the alarm and have had no problems on 4 different Xtreks.

I'm not advocating for not wearing a seatbelt, but if I get out of my car onto a private drive after getting out to open a gate I don't like wearing my seatbelt for the next mile of 10 mph dirt road, or when I'm getting in and out of my car a lot on such a road.  

So, regardless of opinion on wearing a seatbelt, has anyone noticed the other sensors going off after disabling the seatbelt chime?

• 3 weeks later...