Ultimate Subaru Message Board

REPLACING DUTY C SOLENOID AND CLUTCH PLATES (2001 OB 4EAT)

2001 Outback/L.L. Bean; 3.0 Engine, 4EAT transmission, ~ 147K miles.

I am about to replace Transfer Duty solenoid.  Based on the number of posts I have read, I decided to go ahead and replace the clutch plates/disks as well.

When I opened up the tranny extension case, I found everything looks really good. There are some very slight “grooves” on the inside of the reduction drive gear from the clutch plates. Hardly noticeable...especially compared to what I have seen others have had to deal with. I suspect these are from the recent issues with the Duty C and AWD lockup.

I also "found" a black rubber gasket (or grommet) loose in side transfer case cover when I removed it... ~1/2" diameter , black, round (I'll try to attach a pic to this post). What is this for and where does it go? I have looked at a number of diagrams and schematics and I am stumped.  Any ideas?

gasket_pic..jpg.6a6d537f0a8af661e2f0a7f73499b024.jpg

The parts I ordered include:

31523AA450    Plate Set Transfer Clutch
31337AA191    Gasket Trans Case Rear
31377AA211    Ring Seal (x2)
31940AA181    Sol Ay Transfer Valve (Duty C Solenoid)
805100030    Snap Ring (for clutch plates)
806735210    Oil Seal
44011AE040    Gasket-Exhaust Pipe Front (x2)
31325KA080    Bolt

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions on anything that might be helpful is much appreciated.  This is my first venture into a transmission, so I am borderline paranoid of going into FUBAR-land.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, burtman said:

2001 Outback/L.L. Bean; 3.0 Engine, 4EAT transmission, ~ 147K miles.

I am about to replace Transfer Duty solenoid.  Based on the number of posts I have read, I decided to go ahead and replace the clutch plates/disks as well.

When I opened up the tranny extension case, I found everything looks really good. There are some very slight “grooves” on the inside of the reduction drive gear from the clutch plates. Hardly noticeable...especially compared to what I have seen others have had to deal with. I suspect these are from the recent issues with the Duty C and AWD lockup.

I also "found" a black rubber gasket (or grommet) loose in side transfer case cover when I removed it... ~1/2" diameter , black, round (I'll try to attach a pic to this post). What is this for and where does it go? I have looked at a number of diagrams and schematics and I am stumped.  Any ideas?

gasket_pic..jpg.6a6d537f0a8af661e2f0a7f73499b024.jpg

The parts I ordered include:

31523AA450    Plate Set Transfer Clutch
31337AA191    Gasket Trans Case Rear
31377AA211    Ring Seal (x2)
31940AA181    Sol Ay Transfer Valve (Duty C Solenoid)
805100030    Snap Ring (for clutch plates)
806735210    Oil Seal
44011AE040    Gasket-Exhaust Pipe Front (x2)
31325KA080    Bolt

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions on anything that might be helpful is much appreciated.  This is my first venture into a transmission, so I am borderline paranoid of going into FUBAR-land.  

I think there might be a pressure passage from the main trans body to the tailshaft housing, if there is then it would need a seal, and that might be it.