Ultimate Subaru Message Board

18 hours ago, Mike104 said:

It's just held in with pressure.  Put it in place and push down really hard and it should stay in place

no that will break the tabs of the plastic insert, if they aren't already broken.   they aren't available anymore.  So try to save the one you've got.

What needs to be done to properly set it in place is unbolt the 2 fasteners holding down the plate to the top of the shifter.  THEN insert the shifter through the hole in the plate, and then into the plastic.  Once seated, secure the plate back down to the shifter (2 12mm nuts from underneath)  The plate is supposed to hold the plastic insert tabs form expanding and letting the shifter pop out.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, FerGloyale said:

no that will break the tabs of the plastic insert, if they aren't already broken.   they aren't available anymore.  So try to save the one you've got.

What needs to be done to properly set it in place is unbolt the 2 fasteners holding down the plate to the top of the shifter.  THEN insert the shifter through the hole in the plate, and then into the plastic.  Once seated, secure the plate back down to the shifter (2 12mm nuts from underneath)  The plate is supposed to hold the plastic insert tabs form expanding and letting the shifter pop out.

That's good to know.  When my kid put a short shifter in his car he just pulled it out and pushed it back in.  I did the same when I replaced the short shifter with the original when I sold the car.  Lucky for me I didn't break the insert