Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The "H" style gearbox xmem for EJ in EA81

Any harm in starting another thread for EJ stuff in EA81?

If anyone finds good threads for an EJ AWD box in EA81 bodies please don't hesitate to add links

I have seen some photos of some impressive work, just some build instructions would help

Here is my start

Flat bar mild steel 5 mm X 40 mm wide

Centre to centre for the automatic transmission mounting captive nuts rearward of sway bar line ~280 mm

I started with more flat bar than need so I could trim to size once cold bent in vice. Bent with BFH.

Once things bent, marked out the ~280 mm hole centres, then marked out 20 mm from these centre punch marks for cut mark. Fitted up, 25 mm might just be bit better

Marked centre line, then 50 mm each side, so 100 mm apart

I used these marks to set in vice to bend from there to 45° using combination square and bar set up on flat bench as I went -easy. All four bends are the simpler 45°

This one set out and ended up surprisingly to be a total height of 45 mm

Plenty of clearance of gearbox and sway bar. Same for an exhaust pipe.

M10 1.25 bolts for the captive nuts in the body, drilled holes in this 11 mm

1570932233087-1336799776.jpg

Edited by Steptoe

Hmmmm, at the moment it is a work in progress...there is a bit of 5 mm plate 100 mm wide that is drilled for the EJ Impreza gearbox mount studs to go through

Idea is not to weld but bolt this plate to the underside of the original manual 4 WD gearbox crossmember

Currently working on spacer blocks for sway bar to body mounts 82 mm long , central 34 mm housed out 6 mm using 12*30 aluminium flat bar. I should be mocking up out of timber first but I know this idea of sway bar drop works

Also playing with an idea for tailshaft centre bearing mounting but would love to see how others have done this.

All you others, this does not need to be the Bennie and Steppie show either.....

1 hour ago, Steptoe said:

Hmmmm, at the moment it is a work in progress...there is a bit of 5 mm plate 100 mm wide that is drilled for the EJ Impreza gearbox mount studs to go through

Idea is not to weld but bolt this plate to the underside of the original manual 4 WD gearbox crossmember

Currently working on spacer blocks for sway bar to body mounts 82 mm long , central 34 mm housed out 6 mm using 12*30 aluminium flat bar. I should be mocking up out of timber first but I know this idea of sway bar drop works

Sounds good mate! 

1 hour ago, Steptoe said:

All you others, this does not need to be the Bennie and Steppie show either.....

Yeah @STi 22B - join in!! :lol:

Cheers 

Bennie

Asked self this a few times Bennie (& others)

No overlap line?

Looked like it just asking to butt up and be welded?

It is a prototype?

I had these old as blazes rods I nearly chuck out every clean up and thought "what the heck"

I am working out the front section as if it is to be welded same way now....starts out almost as wide as an A4 sheet, shaped to cling to the underside of the manual gearbox crossmember which now think butt weld to the plate, and bolt to crossmember

Edited by Steptoe