Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap harness follow up

Hey guys,

First of all I would just like to say thanks for helping me out with all my questions. I am sorry if they are repetitive or dumb, I am trying to not make a major mistake with a critical part of the ej swap (wiring harness), and I don't know much about wiring in general. I made a huge mistake with not properly labeling the connectors as I pulled them out, it was a rookie move and I am paying for it right now.

After the advice from this thread I posted last week: https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/169862-ej-swap-wiring-harness-question/?tab=comments#comment-1407906 
and from this build which the EJ going into a VW bus: https://www.busaru.com/subaruvanagon/wiringharness
and from this link found on the waybackmachine with the EJ into a VW bug: https://web.archive.org/web/20111012163255/https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=136053

I have decided to go and label the connectors that I though were necessary, and go from there to figure out what I haven't identified yet/figured out, to improve my chances of not messing up lol. If there is anyone that can point me in the right direction after this I would be greatly appreciative. I have only cut out the cruise control and cruise control relay. For reference this is a 1991 Legacy.

Here is what I have identified:

1743438445_BrakeRez2.png.8d1f98c66030c4c96cf30486f7a02332.png
1- Brake Rez

1648273287_CamandKnockSensor2.png.313a28cd0bb09c47f6ad6bda48d48aec.png
2- The 3 sensors all together, cam and knock sensors I believe

1175868375_CheckEnginegreenandblackdiagnostics2.png.66f1313309bee18cc6a924441d70fbae.png
3- The 2 green check engine and 2 black diagnostic connectors that are found together

1544095589_DoubleDiode2.png.63f42b4f8df43ba04916b2b8e65a9e0b.png
4- The double diode. Not sure what this does but this guy said he needed it: https://www.busaru.com/subaruvanagon/wiringharness

256894761_FANS2.png.82d2dbce70defc025797b15f71738389.png
5- Sloppy pic but Fan connectors

And I will include more pics in the comments due to file size restrictions. Please correct me if I have labeled the wrong connector and/or left out one that is needed. Thank you so much I am really grateful for all the help!

Edited by bratboy1

1 - don’t need

2 - correct. Cam, crank and O2 sensor

3 - correct 

4 - never seen a double diode but you definitely need them so leave them be  

5 - don’t need. Just use the wire from the ECU to trigger the fans. Run your own wiring or wire into the trigger for the factory EA wiring. 

6 - correct. Igniter and corresponding plug

7 - correct (AFM)

8 - looks about right. 

9 - relay block. Don’t need for the engine loom cut down, but could be reused for other purposes

10 - something like that. Keep it

11 - definitely need them! 

12 - dunno what that plug is, it doesn’t look like the third plug in the three plug wiring loom 

Looks like you’re making some good progress! Getting your head around the wiring really is a journey - kind of like being enlightened. Once you’ve done one it’s much easier! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

1 - don’t need

2 - correct. Cam, crank and O2 sensor

3 - correct 

4 - never seen a double diode but you definitely need them so leave them be  

5 - don’t need. Just use the wire from the ECU to trigger the fans. Run your own wiring or wire into the trigger for the factory EA wiring. 

6 - correct. Igniter and corresponding plug

7 - correct (AFM)

8 - looks about right. 

9 - relay block. Don’t need for the engine loom cut down, but could be reused for other purposes

10 - something like that. Keep it

11 - definitely need them! 

12 - dunno what that plug is, it doesn’t look like the third plug in the three plug wiring loom 

Looks like you’re making some good progress! Getting your head around the wiring really is a journey - kind of like being enlightened. Once you’ve done one it’s much easier! 

Cheers 

Bennie

No need for brake rez? How come?  Also yes 12 is much smaller but it was with 11 so I will keep it there. 

In regards to the fan, the EA wiring only has one fan connector whereas I have 2 on the EJ and I have a couple of fans so I thought I would just use those instead. 

Can you think of any other connectors that I will need to include? I know the fuel pump is one but that was on the secondary loom so I may have to cut down that other loom for the sake of including the fuel pump. Thanks for the help!

You’re adding the engine loom to run the engine. There’s no need for the brake res wiring unless the ECU references it. Otherwise just stick with the EA brake reservoir level setup. 

Thermo fans: the ECU has one wire that is earth switched that triggers the thermo fans. Hook this to the radiator switch wire (MY) or the trigger wire (L series - have to work out which one triggers the relays) to make the fans come on. 

If you don’t want the EA thermo fan loom doing its thing you could use the EJ gear or make your own setup with some wiring and a couple of relays. 

I hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Bennie

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You’re adding the engine loom to run the engine. There’s no need for the brake res wiring unless the ECU references it. Otherwise just stick with the EA brake reservoir level setup. 

Thermo fans: the ECU has one wire that is earth switched that triggers the thermo fans. Hook this to the radiator switch wire (MY) or the trigger wire (L series - have to work out which one triggers the relays) to make the fans come on. 

If you don’t want the EA thermo fan loom doing its thing you could use the EJ gear or make your own setup with some wiring and a couple of relays. 

I hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Ok got it with the brake rez!

And with regards to the fans, I don't really understand your lingo and terms, so correct me if I am wrong, but if I leave the fan wires and connectors in the EJ loom, plug em in, and don't change anything else, the fans will run when I start the car. 

Are there any other connectors that I missed when labeling and figuring out what I need? Also what would you suggest with the fuel pump? 

Thanks! Sorry to keep bothering you!

3 hours ago, bratboy1 said:

Ok got it with the brake rez!

And with regards to the fans, I don't really understand your lingo and terms, so correct me if I am wrong, but if I leave the fan wires and connectors in the EJ loom, plug em in, and don't change anything else, the fans will run when I start the car. 

Are there any other connectors that I missed when labeling and figuring out what I need? Also what would you suggest with the fuel pump? 

you'd  have to leave all the power supply and relays that are controlled as well.

Best bet is like chux said, just grab the trigger wire from the EJ ECU and run it to the EA fan wire switch......or setup your own relay.