Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need picture of duty c selenoid wire

1998 Legacy Outback wagon. 2.5. AT.

There is supposed to be a wire that goes from the TCU (above gas pedal) to the Duty C Selenoid.

I have downloaded manuals, searched the internet, etc, and have not been able to absolutely identify this wire, but I have to admit I'm not the best at this.

Could someone please post a picture that clearly identifies this wire and shows its exact location, color, etc?

18 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Download the FSM free online.  Take a photo with your phone and Post a picture of the TCU pinouts or related schematic and we will walk you through it.

Do you have a link? I have downloaded an FSM that has an engine electrical section and a body electrical section, but I cant find the wire in either one.

The wiring diagram has the info you want.

On top of the bell housing are 2 big connectors a 12 pin and a 16 pin. You want the 16 pin connector B11.

Connector B11 has a brown wire from the tranny into Pin 11 and a White wire with a black stripe coming out that goes to TCU Connector B55 Pin 3.

Check the diagram to see what the connectors look like.

The AWD solenoid is the Duty C solenoid.

TCU to Transmission.jpg

Edited by Rampage
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Rampage said:

The wiring diagram has the info you want.

On top of the bell housing are 2 big connectors a 12 pin and a 16 pin. You want the 16 pin connector B11.

Connector B11 has a brown wire from the tranny into Pin 11 and a White wire with a black stripe coming out that goes to TCU Connector B55 Pin 3.

Check the diagram to see what the connectors look like.

The AWD solenoid is the Duty C solenoid.

TCU to Transmission.jpg

Thanks for the diagram. So, if I install a switch in the White wire with Black stripe, that will allow me to turn off the Duty C (or AWD) selenoid, correct?

Just out of curiosity, what is the function of the "Lock-Up Selenoid" right above the AWD selenoid in the diagram?

Theoretically yes. But if the TCU is built like the ECU it will detect an open circuit to the coil of the solenoid and throw a code.

You will have to add a 600 ohm resistor to fool the TCU. I will draw a circuit for you and post it later.

The lock-up solenoid is for the torque converter lock-up after the vehicle gets above a certain speed in high gear.

You will need a Double Pole - Double Throw switch (amps don't matter) and a 560-600 ohm resistor 1/2 watt.

The terminals on the switch are laid our like the circles in the diagram. Hook up the resistor and wires like in the diagram. 

In the diagram the switch is horizontal. You will probably want to mount it vertical so the toggle moves up and down. Put the end with the resistor up. That way when the toggle is down the solenoid will not operate.

You can get access to the white-b wire under the dash on the plug B55 pin 3 on the TCU. Make sure that Pin 3 is White-b. Sometimes the color listed may be wrong. It was wrong on my 96 Voyager when I rewired the headlight switch to bypass the BCM.

Make sure you hook up the two ends correctly. One goes to the TCU and the other goes to the Solenoid.

Drawing1.jpg

7 hours ago, jeryst said:

Thanks for the diagram. So, if I install a switch in the White wire with Black stripe, that will allow me to turn off the Duty C (or AWD) selenoid, correct?

Just out of curiosity, what is the function of the "Lock-Up Selenoid" right above the AWD selenoid in the diagram?

Yes a simple switch is all you need.You can literally cut that wire and just twist it and untwist it together, it’s that simple.  

The TCU will just flash 16 times the next time you start the car after using the switch, that’s it. It’s not flashing while driving just start up and it never flashes unless you use the switch. It doesn’t otherwise impact the TCU or cause it to drive differently.  

obviously running wire and a switch is the way to go. I’ve never done the resistor because there’s no need. If someone can’t stand a light for 5 seconds I don’t know how they tolerate all the lights coming on the dash when the key is turned to on....ahahhaa end of the world, I need 13 more resistors! Lol. 

Edited by idosubaru