Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL Brat Fuel Tank

First post and I just acquired a 1984 GL Brat that needs serious work.  First order of business - the fuel tank has some bad rust on the outside and is full of two year old fuel.  I'd like to just replace the tank and the gas lines instead of trying to clean the gunk out.  Where can I source these parts?  I don't need OEM, just something that will fit/function.  

I have searched this forum to no avail.  

Thank You!

Chris

Does the tank actually have holes in it because of the rust? If not I would just clean it up paint and seal the outside then flush the inside. Some people get away with sealing the inside also but that seems to be hit or miss whether it works right and doesn't clog everything up.

If the tank is not salvageable new parts are no longer available. You will have to source a decent used tank which are getting hard to find.

I have heard of some people trying to fit an aftermarket fuel cell but have never seen a finished setup .

• 2 weeks later...

When I needed a new tank for my first BRAT, I looked extensively online and came up with zilch. I ended up soldering and tank sealing the original. The year or two I had it after the repair everything was still holding up. I didn't have any issues to my knowledge with the tank sealer gunking up my lines, but it may have been happening. THe sealer I used was POR-15.

• 3 months later...