Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so i bought this GL last February. As ive been working on it. It was obvious that the guy i bought it from got suckered in because this thing is a Frankenstein under the hood. The ECM was disconnected. The FI system was removed and a VW Beetle carb was installed.

I got that all squared away by installing the proper fuel pump meant for a carb, and have worked out a new air intake for the carb, just have to scoop my hood to fit the aircleaner. 

But now im dealing with an ignition problem. The coil shorted and fried the ignition switch in the steering column and popped the fuse. But get this. The ignition coil was from a late 90s Volvo meant for a distributor-less ignition system. In doing that, the "mechanic" (and i use that title with much sarcasm) removed the ICM because the Volvo coil comes with it on the coil mount. So now i dont know which ICM i should buy. I keep getting these two showing up in searching for the proper part. I have already replaced the ignition switch and fuse. I bought the proper coil but need to figure out which ICM i need.

Can you help?

Screenshot_20191015-190752.png

Screenshot_20191015-191540.png

Oh, my....

The following applies if the engine is an EA82.  There should be a sticker a little to the left of the starter on the top edge of the bell housing.  Also, cast into the block to the right of the dip stick, right up front by the timing belt cover.

There are a few guys I've seen run a weber carb.  But you have to switch the distributor to the carb version, from the SPFI version, I believe.

Why anyone would do this hack job is a mystery to me.  The OEM SPFI system I have found extremely reliable, and gives more power than the Hitachi Carbed version of the engine.  I have been running these EA82 engines since 1988, have 2 that share my daily driving needs now.   Never had an ignition system problem, even with 30 year old parts.   So what I would do - assuming this car is in very nice rust free condition - is get another wrecked / rusty one that has the SPFI system intact, and restore it to original. 

There were some changes between years in between 86, 87, 88, so it will be a little easier if the parts car is the same year, but not 100% necessary.  A few connectors and wire colors changed, but that's about it, all the way to 1994.

OK. Time to look at the dizzy and see if it is what others expected

I know nothing of throttle body injected distributors

I know multipoint injecteds used dizzy caps with screw down retention whereas carbied EA82 all had spring clips

Some carb dizzies had the module you showed first. Ihave never seen the other thing with flyleads. Other carb dizzies had what looks like two brown plastic covered modules under the spring clip cap

What Dave says above sounds good about trying to restore the spfi, but if you just want to get it going with minimal poo fight - find a carb model dizzy and coil