Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback Legacy - can't shift

I've got a manual 97 Outback wagon that is exhibiting some weird shifting behavior.

As of today, I can get it into two states: 

1. Only 1st gear
  2. Only 3, 4, 5 and R gears

It's currently stuck in 1st gear and won't let the gear shifter into any of the other gears.

Previously, I've had 2nd gear unable to engage on multiple occasions but it usually let's me into gear on the same drive or the next day.

210k miles, the clutch has been replaced once and has about 100k on the current.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what needed to be replaced. From other searches I was suspecting the clutch fork, but maybe it is the entire transmission.

you can rule out clutch fork and any clutch related issues by trying to get into gears with the engine off.  if it still doesn't get into gears only other thing you can check is the shift linkage.  otherwise it's an internal issue with the trans

8 hours ago, nvu said:

you can rule out clutch fork and any clutch related issues by trying to get into gears with the engine off.  if it still doesn't get into gears only other thing you can check is the shift linkage.  otherwise it's an internal issue with the trans

I still have issues with the engine off. I was suspicious of the clutch fork based on some previous searching online.

Today I tried to drive the car again and it's back to only having 2nd gear out right now, but when I'm moving left/right from the middle 1/2 to 5/R positions I feel a lot of resistance that wasn't there prior.

Edit: Randomly was able to get into all gears again today after driving it in a parking lot. All of a sudden it felt less sticky in neutral and was able to get into 2nd. Only odd thing remaining is that first pops out of gear and doesn't sit as deep in the gear slot as the other gears.

Edited by melektris