Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New guy cant fill gas tank on 1998 forester

Hello I just sold my 2011 Jeep wrangler jk and replaced it with a 1998 Forester and i have a few issues to resolve.

When i try to fill my gas tank it shuts off the pump after a few seconds.  i have searched and cannot find a post so forgive me if this is a weel traveled topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i deleted my evap system and still have the issue.  i think the filler neck wasnt installed correctly now that i have seen everything with its cover off.  there was these little 5 mm hoses that were completly rusted through.  i am thinking a new neck might be in order although it doesn't look fun.  If you look at the image it looks like the guy i purchased it from has some sort of a stub end filler cork in it.  i would think that should go to the gas tank.  well it should go to the canister but since that has been sawzalled off we might have to improvise.  Any ideas?

IMG_20191027_093947237.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well, my issue turned out to be vent lines that were rusted completely shut (the metal nipples)

new filler neck with all new vent connections (and the shut off switch at the top) has solved my problem.

was going to try pulling one of the vent lines to test as described above, but after removing the clamp, tried to twist the hose to loosen it, and it twisted the metal tube right off of the switch.. oops..  so ordered new filler neck and a new shut off switch.. when the neck arrived, it already the switch installed, so the separate switch got sent back.

got it all installed, and YAY! I can put gas in again without fighting with it!

• Like 1