Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Something weird happened to me today.  Two weeks ago I bought a 2005 Legacy EJ25 NA from someone in Trail bc.  It has 181 000km  (112 500 miles) and the owner was told by the Subaru Dealer that the bottom end of the motor is gone.  I bought the car and took out the motor today.  I had run the motor for 20 seconds to move it and it did sound like a bottom end issue.  I took out the engine  and when I took off the timing belt the lower cogged idler was destroyed, all the little bearings had fallen  out and were at the bottom of the timing belt cover.  I wonder if this means that the bottom end is fine.  Of course I only came to this realization after I took off the cam and crank gears and sensors, intake manifold, clutch, flywheel, block heater, motor mounts and drained the oil, all  too  get ready to put on a JDM long block EJ20.   So I guess my question is could this bad cogged idler been making a similar noise to a bottom end issue and be misdiagnosed by the Dealer.  This really has me thinking I should put all the parts back on, and put it back in the car and start is up, but I would love another opinion. Is there any other way to see if the motor is good?   Thanks for the help.

Was the timing off when you pulled the belt?  If it was on or only a tooth or 2 you should be fine.

Time it and then crank it over by hand.  Everything feel good?  

You can hand crank and check for compression at each cylinder.  Hand cranked compression has its limits but its a indicator.

Ok thanks for the input it is much apprecitated.  The car seemed to run fine for the 20 seconds I ran it to get it into its spot for engine removal.  And the timing belt did have most of it's tension on it when I took it off, So I think it will be ok.  I  will time it crank it over by hand a coiple times and if she seems ok I will put it in the car and do a comp test with the motor.  I will reports back in a few days.  Working on another projeect for a friend that is more urgent.  Again thanks for everyones input.  

• Like 1