Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon 4wd needs radiator

These EA81s must be low friction.  I never even overheated.  Got close to the red but each time the thermo would open and it coooled off.  I noticed because the heater stopped working.  Anyway, engine is fine, but now I definitely need a radiator.  I'm nervous about wrecking yards, do they check for stop leak?  In any case it lists locally (the cheapest) for $270 and $125 out of town at Autozone.  I'm of limited funds, so the so called "grade A" junkyard part for $50 seems a lot more affordable.  Is it worth the risk?

Also, what all year and models have radiators that will fit? IIRC the EA82s were bigger and were part plastic (which I don't want)?  

Stick with anything EA81 and it’ll fit. 

As for junkyard item vs chain store vs quality radiator builder, I’d go the builder if possible. 

You might be surprised with the cost they could build a radiator for. They usually need your old one as a template if the vehicle is not staying with them. 

Cheers 

Bennie