Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Hatch 5spd D/R Need Info

Kluberto

I recently purchased an 86 Hatchback that i'm trying to find a little more info on previous work and am assuming they

were a member here due to a pretty extensive mod list, and this is the best place for that type of info and suby junky ;)

Details:

86 White 2wd Std Hatchback

182k Mi, 5 spd D/R 4WD conversion, 3.9 Diff, rear disc conversion, pug wheels, round eye conversion, roof rack etc

Looks like a lot of interior parts were swapped in as well as some crazy minivan seats I think.

I have been a member for a long time (djbroadus) but could not access my old account so here I am, This is my 3rd hatch and I am happy to be back.

Thanks for any info

K

image (1).png

image (2).png

IMG_7392.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

Edited by Kluberto

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 3:15 AM, Kluberto said:

Thanks, you guys get cooler stuff over there anyways :)

Really? Like what? 

We missed out on turbo brats (brumby), wagon’s and coupes. We didn’t get the hatch as I’ve mentioned and we also didn’t get the huge variety of wagon trim options like you guys did the the states! 

With the L series we missed out on the coupe (I’d have an RXII coupe if they weren’t a special import, I can’t afford that!) and the XT6, not to mention the various turbo wagons etc. We did the the RX turbo sedan. This was the only turbo model readily available, the other was the expensive of the time XT4 (Vortex). 

Other than a dual range EJ AWD manual gearbox, I don’t see much cooler stuff in our line up! 

Cheers 

Bennie

18 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Really? Like what? 

We missed out on turbo brats (brumby), wagon’s and coupes. We didn’t get the hatch as I’ve mentioned and we also didn’t get the huge variety of wagon trim options like you guys did the the states! 

With the L series we missed out on the coupe (I’d have an RXII coupe if they weren’t a special import, I can’t afford that!) and the XT6, not to mention the various turbo wagons etc. We did the the RX turbo sedan. This was the only turbo model readily available, the other was the expensive of the time XT4 (Vortex). 

Other than a dual range EJ AWD manual gearbox, I don’t see much cooler stuff in our line up! 

Cheers 

Bennie

How about ANY of the hot Subarus built since, oh, IDK 1989 with an EJ-T engine?  Don't forget that the fastest Subaru we had in the states until 2002 was the 160 hp, 2.2L, non-intercooled Legacy Turbo sedan.

Ah so you have a povo spec RS water to air intercoolerd 2L turbo, and no WRX. I can see where you’re coming from with that angle. 

The early WRXs are the best ones. Not many around these days since many, many of them were crashed, modified (hugely molested) they parted out. 

Cheers 

Bennie

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Ah so you have a povo spec RS water to air intercoolerd 2L turbo, and no WRX. I can see where you’re coming from with that angle. 

The early WRXs are the best ones.

The first intercooled Subaru we ever received in the U.S. (air-to-air OR Air-to-water) was the 2002 WRX.

I have a '93 Type RA EJ20G in my RX-II coupe, and it is a lovely engine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice Standard Hatch, own an '86 STD myself. Basically the least amount of options and frills were put on these... the base of base models.

Today that is probably a blessing because there is less to go wrong.

Quite a bit of mods to make a fwd hatch into a 4wd; trans, rear driveline, mustache bar mounts, rear diff and axles, fuel tank swap, etc... if you have the 5 speed dual range the rear driveline must be custom as well.

The round lights came factory on the STD's. If you want to go quad-light you will need to mod the radiator-core-support, as well as your headlight wiring to match the new light pigtails.

The fuel tank is smaller, usually takes less than 10.5 gallons for me to fill up. You probably have the 4wd tank installed, which is different to accept the rear diff and mustache bar.

Edit: now that I'm thinking about it, because you have a lift kit on (not sure how many inches the lift blocks are on the back) the lift would make the rear-drive mechanics clear the factory tank.

Other things about the STD;

Used the 1.6 EA71, instead of the 1.8 EA81

They came with 4-speed fwd, instead of 5-speed.

There was no "intermittent" windshield wiper speed.

They used the dash and steering wheel from the DL, meaning no Tach. No trip-meter or fuel-low-light either.

Stereos usually were not included.

There was no rear window defroster.

There was not a passenger rear-view mirror.

Instead of carpet there is a vinyl/linoleum-like floor that is easier to scrub clean, and doesnt trap dirt as much.

There wasn't a console around the shifter, just a rubber boot on the top of the trans tunnel.

Edited by 6 Star
More STD extra facts
  • Like 1