Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i have a 2010 Subaru legacy 2.5i with P205/60R16 tires and standard wheels with hubcaps.

Curious if it would create any problems for me and my all-wheel drive system if I swapped them out with 205/55R16 off of 2008 Subaru Impreza with alloy wheels.  Also, i'm assuming if i did this i'd need to get the same size spare tire?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

if the wheels are the same size, it should be no problem to mount the correct tire on it.

going to a larger wheel size, you would want to figure out a tire size that will be close to stock size in rolling diameter to keep the speedo correct.

of the two that you have mentioned, the 2nd one will be slightly smaller in diameter, and would throw your speedometer off a little (read too fast) - this also affects the odometer..

quick breakdown of the sizes you listed...

205 = tread width in mm

60 (55) = aspect ratio of sidewall to tread width (think of it as a percentage of...)

R = Radial construction

16 = wheel size

so to be clear... i have factory Subaru legacy wheels and tires on it now.   A guy is offering me some 2008 Impreza rims with tires on them.  My tires are almost ready for replacing so i thought I might take him up on it.  I would just be popping off my rims and tires and putting these on it.  Seems like the rims are the same size (16) but the tires might be slightly smaller (55 compared to 60).   sounds like it would mess up my milage slightly... but in a year or two when i get new tires for this car I could go back to the original tires size (on the newer rim) and it would be fine from that point on?

yup, pretty much. You wont actually hurt anything by using the smaller tire, just be aware that the speedometer and odometer will be off a little because of it.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

if you enter the different tire info (try to use the stock size in the 1st spot) you can see the difference the slightly smaller size has.