Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, thanks for everyones patience. I got my old digital camera out.  So pic 1 is the rear housing from my car.  You can see I placed one of the clutch bands that just came loose.  Picture 2  (no clutch band at the bottom of pic) is of the one I took from pick and pull. Almost the same situation but bands stayed together (did not fall out) although they seem loose.  Pic 3 and 4 is from my car at  the back of the tranny. I took two different angles to try to show what was left on it when I pulled off the rear housing.  So I guess my question is, how do put this back together, and I guess more specifically, what to do with the loose clutch bands.  Thanks again I really want to get this toegether properly.  I called mt local dlr  (Kelowna Canada) yesterday and the gasket wont be here till tuesday, so I do have some time to try to figure this out.  I will try to read the factory manual later tonight but sometimes that stuff goes over my head.  Ps I just noticed the little o ring on pic two.  I will make sure I dont miss it or double up on it. lol

O4.JPG.0a20989a7d25b6da3a9764ceebce3fe7.JPG4.JPG.0a20989a7d25b6da3a9764ceebce3fe7.JPG3.JPG.08970095144a86a679d57df23526eae4.JPG2.JPG.d23657e659439b6256459fe904dee2f1.JPG1.JPG.be66fd12e81bdc6b11b70faa5d45ab59.JPG

Clutch bands go inside the drum (I’m unsure exactly what it’s called.  You didn’t notice how it came apart?  I would have kept everything together as an assembly. 

Get the FSM it’ll have the exploded view diagram and process step and step.  They’re easily found free online. 

When you say "drum" do you mean the large round thing currently on my rear housing, or the large round thing currently on my tranny? I really did try hard to keep everything together, not sure how it cam off like this. Twice.   I have the service manual. Confused the spoob out of me. I cant seem to make heads or tales of it. 

Ok I finally got it back together. But the transmisson seems to be sliipping, not sure if this is related.  I will keep it as a winter beater and see how it goes. AT least I learned a lot and it gives me time to find a low mileage tranny.  Body motor and interior are real nice.  Thanks again for everyones help.

2 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

make sure the car is idling on level ground when you check the trans fluid level.

also needs to be fully warmed up and preferably each gear gone thru (ie: short drive) before checking while parked on a level surface and idling...

• Like 1