Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Issue! Rough Idle and loss of power

Hey team

I have a 1991 Subaru liberty/legacy Gx and ive had a couple of issues with it

the first symptom appeared maybe 6 months ago, accelerating up a hill at roughly 90km/h to 100 km/h and the engine just lost all of its power and started shaking - all levels were fine etc. pulled over for 2 minutes and drove the car home no problems

This has re-occurred at random at highway speeds (100km/h or 60mph) 3 times since, but the more noticeable day to day symptom is a rough idle when in drive/reverse, when I flick it to neutral/park the vibrations go away.

Its been a real head-scratcher for me, and the mechanic had no idea what it was either, he suggested it could be the cam angle position sensor but I checked that with my multimeter and the sensor and connector were fine

anybody have any ideas what this could be??

7 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Dying fuel pump? 

Bad spark plug could do it maybe. 

Does your check engine light illuminate when the engine isn’t running but the ignition is ON? 

How many km on it?

Cheers 

Bennie

Yeah the CEL illuminates when the ignition is on, on that I actually plugged in the read memory port and it spat out a code for a crank position sensor? Unsure if that's relevant because it's apparently a historical code, the user - diagnosis showed nothing 

It has 160k km on the clock, not too much for a 1991 

7 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Or a dirty AFM. 

I'll check that and my spark plugs, any ideas on how I should go about checking the pump?

7 hours ago, forester2002s said:

or a partially-clogged fuel-filter?

That I will check asap 

If that was a historical code I’d be clearing that ASAP. The crank angle sensor could cause a cut out issue, I’ve not know them to create a hesitation, just loss of all power/rpm until the engine stalls. 

The crank angle sensor could be the issue, while rare, it could be a good avenue to look into. Go second hand.

Cheers 

Bennie

52 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

If that was a historical code I’d be clearing that ASAP. The crank angle sensor could cause a cut out issue, I’ve not know them to create a hesitation, just loss of all power/rpm until the engine stalls. 

The crank angle sensor could be the issue, while rare, it could be a good avenue to look into. Go second hand.

Cheers 

Bennie

I unclipped the sensor last night to test with a multimeter, plugged it back in and today while driving I had 3 absolute stalls and lots of uneven rpm (only drove around 1km then went home because I was worried about the stalling). The wiring was fine from the multimeter test so should I assume that sensor needs replacing? 

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

It could be sensor or it could be a break in the wiring from the sensor to the main loom, you’ll need to check this out and determine which one it is. 

Cheers 

Bennie

thanks mate!

I just checked the terminal wiring and found that there is continuity flowing through but no constant 5-12v when the key is in the on position,

getting 0.05 dcv through all of them, assuming that is nothing major

probably the constant power wire, must be a break somewhere

thanks mate