Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Impreza OBW ABS Light on

Well, I'm open to suggestions if you have any.  I've basically replaced every on the passenger side associated with the driveline and I can't get rid of knock upon acceleration from a stop.  If the vibration from the aftermarket axle was enough to cause the axle seal to fail  perhaps it fouled up the shaft or worse the differential. 

Kind of at the end of my rope on this repair..

Remove both lower control arm bushings. They are ok, no play or movement 

Snapped a few pics of the stub shaft. The only part that looks like a possibility is the roll pin opening.  The one side is pretty beat up. 

When the pin is installed the play in/out seems normal.  There is also play side to side.  Don’t know if that’s normal or if there should be no play at all side to side. 

CEE60F4A-2EBB-4BEC-827D-80E2FB2A1412.jpeg

61F9BC5C-AEDD-4DF8-AFDF-AE4940611394.jpeg

AC5DD342-5C19-4A15-AD3B-381127C9E1D0.jpeg

10 hours ago, palfer said:

Well as it turns There was a crack in the universal joint end cap.  

installed a used driveshaft from a junked car and noise is gone.  Thanks to everyone for providing input along the way.  

C3207555-CA85-4E75-B808-05FB34E1323D.jpeg

I’ve had that happen on my L series too. I replaced the tailshaft/prop shaft with a unit from the wreckers (got lucky with that!) when interstate. Fitted it and drove 800km home from interstate ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie