Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prospecting a 2010 Forester. Can I trust the dealer??

This week I drove a few hours to check out a 2010 Forester Limited with 117k on it. I knew after researching the dealership that I should be on the lookout for shady business. The car was clean as could be inside and out, and the engine has obviously been thoroughly cleaned. It started up eagerly, and immediately upon popping the hood, there's was faint but obvious smoke coming from the heads. Their mechanic slid out from the garage and immediately diagnosed that oil was burning and leaking from the head gasket. I was NOT impressed. and now trust the dealer even less. They have promised to replace the gasket and notify my when its been done. 

So I know that even slight gasket damage can lead to real problems from end to end. I don't expect them to instead the block, cylinders, or heads when they do the gasket. Should I trust them? (Naive I know, but I want the damn car. Of course I will have it independently inspected if I look at it again. Could damage to the motor be diagnosed without me having to pay for the whole motor being pulled out? I am no expert and am looking for some more experienced advice from the soob community! Thanks!

might have been better to get a significant price reduction, then have a local independent soob-friendly shop do the work. They may very well change a gasket, but will they use a quality gasket and properly prep the surface of the heads?

also, wonder if the timing belt systems has been properly serviced with Japanese parts?

I'd say its risky even without knowledge of the 'shady aspect' of the dealer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

might have been better to get a significant price reduction, then have a local independent soob-friendly shop do the work. They may very well change a gasket, but will they use a quality gasket and properly prep the surface of the heads?

also, wonder if the timing belt systems has been properly serviced with Japanese parts?

I'd say its risky even without knowledge of the 'shady aspect' of the dealer.

I agree. Their guy assured me that they'd use a better gasket, but I digress on whether or not to trust them. I would hate to drop several thousand on a loan and find out that the heads or blocks are FUBAR. 

What does the fact that it was leaking oil so soon after startup, visibly, and smoking tell us? I didn't drive or give it a chance to overheat, and was too disappointed to check the coolant system for oil or bubbles.

Theres no way to test engine condition. No inspection or even pulling the engine can verify lower end bearing condition.  Anyone that says otherwise is selling you something.

1. Ask how long the head gasket repair warranty is on the vehicle and get it in writing. Standard shop warranty is 12 months, 12,000 miles if you have it done anywhere else. 

Cut the oil filter open and check for debris and send in oil samples to a UOA joint.  That’s all that can be done and an inspector isn’t going to do it. 

Its highly dependent on how badly you need a car and how much you’re willing to wait.

It’s risky like any used car purchase. If you want to maximize chances pass on any car until you find a compelling reason to buy.  This one doesn’t sound great unless you get better feedback on the repair, history and timing components.

That car needs $400-$800 in timing belt work before I’d recommend going in debt over it....in addition to properly installed head gasket. 

If you get the sense the mechanic use Subaru gaskets and properly cleaned and bolts properly torqued and new timing kit - buy it. Brakes and everything else are easy relatively speaking, it’s not that worrisome for anywhere to do those. 

A head job is far more technical and hinges on proper cleanliness, prep, and attention to detail more than just about any other work.  How do you feel about this shop doing that?   If not, move on until you find one. 

Any 2010 under a loan needs a new timing kit or at a minimum the timing belt and lower timing pulley IMO.

• Like 1

I always resurface the heads, this shop almost certainly won’t do that.  Subaru dealers have very good track records and often don’t resurface the heads so that alone doesn’t scare me if the place seems otherwise capable of cleaning, quality tools, prep, torque and good parts selection.   

• Like 1

Wait, is this a SUBARU dealership?

If so, should be easy to get documents showing what parts have been put on the car - if they serviced the timing belt system, you want to see more than just the belt listed as mentioned above. The toothed idler is often the point-of-failure, not the belt.

maybe push them for some little powertrain warranty?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

I 'misspoke", it isn't a dealership, just a dinky used car lot selling out of a modular. All this and other information is turning me towards ditching that particular vehicle. That generation soob is proving to be a bit of a pain, because of exactly the mileage and age that they have, it seems hard to avoid either paying a high price for a vehicle that is well maintained or shelling out for timing systems and gasket work. What a pickle.

I agree, walk away. Find the right vehicle and be patient! Or the other way around really :D 

Choose what you want to do, find one that needs the HG and timing done - barter with the seller (private or used sales) to being the price down, then either DIY the work if you’re able to or have a reputable subi mechanic do the work that will give you piece of mind with your purchase and its ongoing reliability. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1