Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Subaru GL with 255,000 miles

Hi there. I've owned 8 Subaru GL's from 1985 to 1999 (they rust terribly here in the midwest and my wife was rear ended in at least 3 of them).

So, I was just putzing around Craigslist, and on a lark - I put Subaru GL in the search function.

Up sprang a 1984 GL in Yakima, Washington. I made arrangements immediately to buy it (the seller actually responded to me and held onto the car for me). 3 days later, I was in Yakima picking the car up.

The condition is stunning - just some surface rust on the rear liftgate and around the bottom of the doors (those will be fixed within the next 2 months). There is a slight oil leak (I had to put 1 quart in over the 2,100 miles I drove). It has a 5 speed (the stick just needs to be tightened up), crank windows, stock stereo (all 4 speakers work), A/C, and a pretty clean interior. The headliner is fine, it just needs to be refreshed (some fading). It drove great through the mountains (I only had to put it into 3rd twice). I even hit a piece of a truck in the road (it was night & 4 different cars hit the same thing), so I used AAA to bring it to a tire shop in Wyoming. Both steel wheels were damaged, but I happened to find the only 13" wheels for this car at a local junk yard (nobody had these wheels for a 5 state area), so I was extremely lucky. Even better, were that these were alloys off of a 1989 GL10. I then took it to a Discount Tire in Cheyenne (which was on my route to Illinois) and wouldn't you know it - they had a set of four 13" tires (P175/70 R13).... & they were in stock no less. The alloys cost me $100, and the tires cost me $280 installed with a road hazard warranty.

I then got to Illinois without any issues.

I averaged 30 mpg over the whole trip (while averaging 70 mph). In the mountains, it was 24 mpg - on the flat road, it was 34 mpg. The fastest I took the car was 85 mph.

Not bad for a 35 year old car with 255,000 miles. 

84SubaruGL01.jpg

84SubaruGL02.jpg

84SubaruGL03.jpg

84SubaruGL04.jpg

84SubaruGL05.jpg

84SubaruGL06.jpg

84SubaruGL07.jpg

84SubaruGL08.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like it's in really good condition for its age and mileage!  And it has the GL-10 option as well, that's very rare. The 2WD versions are pretty uninspiring, IMHO, its the 4WDs that built the brand's cache.

As far as what it's worth?  It's only worth what the next guy will pay for it.

Looks great for its age. Being a fwd probably kept it from being chucked around off road. These things can be lethal off the tarmac in FWD. The alloys help set it apart.

If you intend to drive it at night again, some decent LED headlight replacement inserts will light up the road so as not to impact with items sitting between the yellow spots on the road that low beam originals create

20 hours ago, 88SubGL said:

Car, why do you say it has GL-10 option? I thought GL-10’s had that designation on the outside of the car, not just GL. The seats don’t look like just a GL though.

The velour seats, although those could simply have a unique 2WD upholstery.  I've only ever owned one 2WD, and that was back in 2002-03.

The light in the glovebox is actually stock (and does work).  Also, the GL actually has the updated upholstery (I would have preferred the stock lined insert upholstery, but I won't complain). It is very rare option in GL's (normally it was the GLF or GL10 getting this upholstery). Given that I have owned 8 Leone's, I've seen the gamut of Subaru Upholstery. The upholstery generations were 1980 to 1981, then changed in 1982 to 1984 (or to 1987 also for the GL Hatchback & the Brat).  The 1985 Loyale redesign (of course) introduced new materials for each version (the Loyale DL, Loyale GL, & Loyale GL10 or the RX).

I literally have had each version since 1985 (here is a picture of me with my first 2 Subaru's with the arrows pointing to them parked in the street - a '81 GL 4x4 4 spd & '83 GL 5 spd).

This is what I have owned.

I've had (and everyone of them had A/C):
1983 GL Silver/Blue Wagon (w/ 5 speed)
1982 DL Gold Wagon (w/ 4 spd & 4WD)
1981 GL Gold Wagon (w/ 4 spd & 4wd & the center grill light)
1983 GL Red Wagon (w/ Automatic)
1984 GL Black 2 door Coupe (w/ 5 speed & a trunk)
1984 GL Gold 4 door (w/ Automatic, power windows, cruise, Am/Fm Cassette)
1986 GL Silver/Blue Hatchback (w/ Automatic)
1986 Loyale GL Silver 2 door (w/ 5 speed and trunk)
1988 Loyale GL Red Wagon (w/ Automatic, power windows, cruise, Am/Fm Cassette).

And now, the 1984 Silver GL Wagon (w/ 5 speed).

Subaru.1jpg.jpg

And yes, that is a 1978 Datsun 200sx with the 2.0L & 5 spd (I was JDM before the term became popular). And by the way, I am a Mopar guy (not just Japanese cars).

By the way, In answer to someone above. I understand that the car is worth what someone is willing to pay, but that wasn't my question. I was asking what others thought this car might be worth (a genuine question since I have been out of the Subaru scene for 20 years).

Nice find man! She's a beauty alright, and just on the side of 300,000 miles? Oh she's been babied her whole life, are you the second owner? Haha

You found those wheels at the junkyard? You bastard! 

Those are the 85 premiers. And probably worth $500 or so if you can find someone with an L body that's just gotta have em. Do you have all the center caps? I have a set too and have had lots of compliments and offers to trade. 

Good luck finding an 85 sube driver with $500 :P 80s factory alloys are a rare sight, score!

Anyway it's a bit difficult to really put a value on vintage subarus, even the rare turbo ones like gl 10 or rx. Little aftermarket support and the underpowered grocery getter reputation has resulted in these cars, particularly the wagons as being considered anything but collectible. The guys restoring them do it because they love the car, not for an investment. The value of early subarus hasn't seemed to bottom out quite yet, but there are signs of these going up, the brat seems to be our ray of hope for these cars being worth more than their original price someday.

The 2nd gens have a great engine but based on my observations of the local market, original equipment and mileage is nearly inconsequential. In fact for 3rd Gen wagons an ej swap will definitely add value.

So...if you were to try and sell yours in a hippie town like boulder, where 1 of 3 cars are subarus it seems like, $3500 would be a good starting point, maybe $4000 with the premiers. Considering a clean loyale with push button 4wd can get around 2k here right after the first snowstorm of the year lol. In texas? Probably can't sell her there, no snow and too slow for the hiway.

For some incredibly wacky reason the fwd seems to command a $3-500 premium in asking price. 

Now no more goofing around and do what everyone here is already thinking...turbo traction clone time! If you need help cutting off the roof let me know, but finding or fabricating the high roof is up to you! Haha

Cheers man, and enjoy the slowest of the jaw dropping cars of the 80s. She'll be a hit at car shows.

Every so often I have some guy ask me if I want to sell my '86 GL. One even put a note under my windshield. And that was when I was out of town and in the big city. 

My opinion is, if they're still stock they're desirable.

I've bought and sold antiques & vintage items for years (not cars) and once something has been altered in any way the value tanks.

• 6 months later...

That wagon is in great shape. I remember buying those Premier? alloy wheels from Boomershine Subaru in Atlanta in the late 80's, for my 81 GL hatchback (FWD, EA81). I wish I had taken the wheels off the car prior to selling it at @165K miles in the early 2000's. My Brat would be wearing them now.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:11 PM, amarine1 said:

And yes, that is a 1978 Datsun 200sx with the 2.0L & 5 spd (I was JDM before the term became popular). And by the way, I am a Mopar guy (not just Japanese cars).

By the way, In answer to someone above. I understand that the car is worth what someone is willing to pay, but that wasn't my question. I was asking what others thought this car might be worth (a genuine question since I have been out of the Subaru scene for 20 years).

Virtually nothing. 

Strike 1: Very high mileage

Strike 2: Rust in the wheel wells and tailgate areas. 

Strike 3: 2WD

Enjoy it for what it is, but those come up fairly often here in the West and it's hard to even give them away. 

If it were a Brat (they were all 4WD) or a 4WD hatch, and especially if it were low mileage/good condition..... even then they are a hard sell. My old Brat went to the east coast and had a lot of upgrades and I got $2800 for it.

A high mileage 2WD wagon..... well 10 years ago I would have called that a parts car that moves itself around the yard....... honestly things haven't changed all that much except people might pay more for the parts now. A 2WD wagon is about the lowest value and least desirable EA81 out there. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1