mkoch

Do I just tap the axle spindle back into the bearing housing??

I was able to tap the axle spindle out of the bearing housing... that was pretty easy!

”How To Keep Your Subaru Alive” does  not mention that as an option.

A Youtube video shows tapping the housing back in to the spindle.

Can I do this without harming the CV joint?

Edited by mkoch
typo in heading

I’ve done it before. Just hit the outer part of the cup and be careful not to damage the boot. Once there are enough threads showing, screw the axle nut and drive it in the rest of the way.

Usually I can get enough threads through to start a nut. Pull it till it bottoms.  Put various spacers, washers, etc and use the nut each time until it's through.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, DaveT said:

Usually I can get enough threads through to start a nut. Pull it till it bottoms.  Put various spacers, washers, etc and use the nut each time until it's through.

this is exaclty what I did on saturday.  worked like a charm.  I put a little grease on the axle before starting.

Grease is a good idea.  You want it on the seals also.  Inside.

I learnt to do it the longer, easier way, by taking hub off vehicle, poking stub through from rear until it is jammed in and holds weight off the driveshaft

Then lift hub so gearbox face end of shaft is off ground best use block off wood

Then drop, lift, drop, lift, drop, lift drop uses weight of hub to work in Steptoe's favour

Never had any further dramas, never needed to freeze shrink stuff in freezer or apply heat

Edited by Steptoe

I always just take out the bolt that holds the lower control arm on and the loosen the strut mount nuts a little bit. This lets the whole strut move a lot more and makes it easy to just wiggle the hub over the spindle.