Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I might have a blown fuse?

So I was driving in my 88gl wagon. It has power windows and smoke started coming from under my drivers door pannel so I pulled over and took off the pannel and no more smoke. So I put it all back together and my windows wont work now. Also since then I hear a soft click from my passemger side and the battery gauge drops significantly and then a louder click right after and the battery gauge goes back up?? The clicking happens about every 10 seconds, Any ideas??

Sounds like it could be a short somewhere. That would cause the smoke and yes most likely end up with a blown fuse. Check for any wires that are cut, or have plastic missing. Also any wires that could be rubbing up against sharp metal edges.  Just use some electrical tape to cover open ends that you find, and check fuses for windows and others. 

That cyclic clicking also sounds like the power window circuits that will click and try to cut out if the window up down buttons are held down on beyond task completed.

Dave mentions thermal load, I don't know if power windows use thermal load or what

Were you using power window just before smoke started?

Maybe passenger side clicking has a stuck switch, but to cause driver side to smoke ???

How is the applicable fuse?

A mate called me yesterday with dead windows and in a panic, looking for a switch. Windows you say, not just one? 

He found a blown fuse. Whether it keeps blowing a fuse I don't know

shorted wire in the door wiring.

Circuit breaker and control box under passenger seat might be smoked, but circuit breaker is cutting out.......that's the gauge dropping and coming back up as the breaker cuts out.

I'd check the heavy red wire that goes from a junction under passenger side foot carpet out ot hte doors.  There is a crimp junction with 5 red wires collared in brass.  Check that too for corrosion and re-wrap it with tape.  trace that wire up intot eh door loom to find the short.

If all doesn't return to normal after that, then replace control unit under pass seat.

• Like 1

If you know where the fuse or breaker  is for that circuit, you can pull it, and jump It with a brake light bulb.  If there is a short, or low resistance path, the light will light, and you can go poking and wiggling wires, pulling down stream connectors,  etc. Without risking more damage, or blowing a bunch of fuses.

I took off the pannel for the divers side and the motor smells smoked but I didnt take it out to see, tomorrow im gonna pull all the carpet and seats out to access everything easier and just start unplugging connectors until it stops blowing fuses n then I'll see if I can narrow it down after that