Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any reason NOT to use Idemitsu power steering fluid in 2001 OBW?

Hi All,

I'd like to flush the steering fluid in this recently-acquired OBW. The cap says to use Dexron, but the current contents are more on the order of "honey colored" - not the least bit red like ATF. This Idemitsu PSF claims to be good for Asian cars: https://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-Universal-Power-Steering-Vehicles/dp/B00TO0F6EW

I haven't gotten under the car to look for myself, but two different shops have pointed out leakage under the boot(s) on the steering rack. So it would be a bonus if whatever's in there now wasn't so good and led to the leakage, and whatever I replace it with makes the leakage stop. :)

Any thoughts?

All the best,

Bry

12 hours ago, brycarp said:

"honey colored" -

The stuff that is in there is probably Stop Leak for Power Steering. It is supposed to condition the seals, but more than likely the seals are too far gone for it to work.

I have tried it on our 97 RHD Legacy and the rack seals still leak. I bought the kit to rebuild it (some day).

If you go back to Dexron type ATF fluid, It may leak a little faster or not. But, you won't know unless you try it.

• Like 1

Reason not to? How about it's not what Subaru calls for, what they do call for is about 1/4 the cost, and abundantly available.

Maybe it won't do damage, in fact, it probably won't make anything worse. But why spend more on the wrong stuff? Plain Jane, no-name Dex/Merc is perfect and costs about $2.50/qt

• Like 1

+1 someone tried thicker or stop leak stuff to slow the leaks.  It never works for subarus leaking at the rack side seals.  

pur the right stuff in or ignore it or wait until it’s low to change it.  Simply put it needs repaired with a new rack or seals. 

since fluid didn’t cause this nor will it fix it, this also means you can do whatever you want without worries.  So if you want to still believe fluid might save you and ignore us, it won’t hurt anything to try whatever you want.  Subaru power steering systems are robust, theyre not going to easily fail because of fluid.  You’re wallet will just be lighter and you’ll learn by experience which everyone does to some extent.  

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

I agree with ido, leave it as it is.  at this point, changing it might cause more leaking.  we don't know if stopleak had been tried on it before; likely yes.

note on "stopleak" type products, they contain chemicals that soften and expand nitrile orings.  use them once to see if it helps, if you keep using more eventually the orings will turn into a gummy mess.