Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY Block Heater Install Heads Up

Gentlemen,

I purchased a genuine Subie Block Heater kit for my 2017 OutBack Premier H4. (Why Subaru doesn't factory install one for our Canadian climate baffles me, because they used to. Not only that but my Nissan 370Z Roadster has one installed, and no one in their right mind would drive it in the winter with its rear drive, and 275/35/19's. Shaking my head at that too.)

The kit comes with a 14 mm hex bit tool, that is required to remove the block plug where the block heater element is to be installed. However, somewhere along the line Subaru has changed the plug size on my car to a 17 mm hex bit requirement. Unfortunately you don't find this out until you have drained the coolant, have the front exhaust removed and you can finally see the block plug.

I went to 7 different stores that sold automotive tools only to find that they only stocked up to 16 mm allen hex bits, and most of them only in entire kits. A mechanic friend only had hex bits to 16 mm. After driving around for over an hour I tried a tool and parts supplier for diesel trucks whom I've done business with before. He allowed me to borrow one from a set for the promise of a quick return and a 12 pack of doughnuts for his staff. DEAL! The only problem with it was I had to remove the center exhaust header stud from the head because the tool was so long (almost 6 inches).

Anyhow, job done, very happy, all is right with the world once more.

So should you decide to install a block heater yourself, go for it, but if you're under a time constraint and need to drive the car to get to work the next day .... check to be sure that you have the correct hex tool bit for that block plug on your subie before you start the job.

• Like 2

jonathan909,

Southern Ontario, about an hour out of Windsor/Detroit. I've owned 5 subie OBW's, one of every generation, and they all had factory installed block heaters except the 2012 (an imported US car) and my present Premier. While we can get some really cold weather here (not to the same extent that you get), my car sits outside in the wind. (My Bride's car and my other two toys share the garage).