Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just picked up a 08 Impreza sedan, 5 speed  EJ25 Sohc, with a hole in the block. Looks like connecting rod did it.  I noticed that this motor has a soleniod in the head. I think its for variable timing.  Can I take a EJ25 SOHC short block from lets say 2000 to 2004 and use the 08 heads?  I will take heads to a machine shop.  I have never done a head gasket job but I did watch 4 good videos on it, and if I take my time I think I can do it.  Thanks for everyones time and input. It is much apprecaited. 

Yes you can.

Swap heads, Intake manifold, crank sprocket, and the crossover pipe as the harness connect for the ECT is in the front and won't reach that on the earlier block as that ect is in the rear.

Of course you have to swap the flywheel and timing belt guide over.

Take your time and use the HG designed for the turbo engine.

O.

• Like 1

If you’re confident, methodical and good at cleaning mating surfaces, there’s no reason why you couldn’t do a HG job with the right tools. 

A mate who knows how to do these things is always helpful to have on hand too. 

All the best with it, sounds like a neat project! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Ok. THahks guys.  It would be nice to have someone to help me out., but I don't have anyone like that so I spend a lot of time researching and taking things slow.  So I bought a 04  na Ej25 sohc Forester today as a parts car.  I paid $280 and thats basically what the tires are worth. I bought it from  someone who had it for a year and spent the whole time on vacation with it. From all the paperwork I got it seems it was driven about 20 000 miles.  Car has 165 000 miles on it. It idles very rough so I did a compression test. 190 psi on 3 cylinders and zero on the last one. I did some research on this and my question is how can I tell if this problem is in the head or  a problem with the rings or pistons etc.  I dont need the heads.  I will be using the heads from the 08 impreza.  I went through the paperwork and a jiffy lube mentioned no oil on dipstick when the car was brought in, so I figure it was overheated.  Should I just stay away from this engine?  I did see a nice 03 Outback with similiar milage in the my pick n  pull that was in a small fender bender and written off by our goverment insurance agency.  Would love to hear everyones opinon on this. 

24 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I did a compression test. 190 psi on 3 cylinders and zero on the last one.

Wow zero compression. It could be a broken valve spring not closing a valve, or a cracked valve missing a chunk , or a hole in the piston, or head gasket. Bad rings would still make a little compression.

Pull the valve cover and have a look.

I remove all the spark plugs, pull the plug to the coil and use the starter to crank it about three pumps on the gauge.

You could pull down that engine to see what the issue is. Removing the cam on the bank with the dead compression cylinder will allow you to see if there’s a broken valve spring or missing valve spring washer retainer clips (little half moon crescent pieces that hold the washer in place that sits on top of the spring).

But the engine from that fender bender unit at the wreckers would be a good option for drop in and go - if the coolant system wasn’t damaged in the crash, or it’s not an insurance job... 

Cheers 

Bennie