Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy GT wagon stereo display

The stereo display backlighting doesn't work.  Is there a fix for this?  The google just has a lot of information on how to remove and replace the stereo or fix '05 - '09s, but nothing on how to fix a '98 display that isn't lit.  My Ranger had the same problem and there was a tiny bulb that could be replaced.  And other mid-90's to early 2000's Fords had a power board that had failures due to either cold solder joints or resistors.  I can't find any information on '98 Legacy stereo displays.  What's the scoop?

Go to Google and type in car radio bulbs.

I haven't had to replace bulbs in a Subaru radio yet, but I have in other brands. If replacing the incandescent bulbs, you will want the same size bulb for it to fit and work correctly. I have bought them with and without the base from our local electronics store. If you are lucky, maybe the ford ones are the same. I have also used fingernail polish for a tint.

One thing the guy in the video did not mention is that an led will not tolerate much heat from the soldering iron. Too much heat and they will not work for long or not at all. No more than 600 degree iron. My Weller station has replaceable tips at 600, 700, 800 degrees. The 600 degree tip is long and skinny so it is not real hot at the tip.