Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much lift until I hurt my subaru?

So not too long ago I got this lil fucker for 700 dolares, worked well but hated the rump roast sag so I researched a bit and learned you can throw in outback spring and strut assemblies for a decent lift, plus bigger tires(225/60/15). So I did just that, but during the process I did have to compress the struts with a jack to be able to line up the two bolts behind the hub and cant imagine what the pressure must me doing to my suspension components. This really improved looks in my opinion, but I wanted to go bigger i.e. 215/75/15 tires and another inch spacer. Will that hurt things and what do I need to replace to prevent that?

20191105_150238_20191107105403859.jpg

Hey bigboy, seems like a suitable name! 

You need to work out how much lift those struts got since you swapped to the outback units. Springs will play a part too. 

If you want strut lift, I’d recommend a “subframe” drop too. This with the strut lift is essentially a full body lift. By today’s standards of lifting Subaru’s, it’s quite involved. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Bennie

Genuinely dont know what a subframe drop is or what kind of work it requires, I do my own mechanics from my garage so if it requires more specific tools or a lift, I cant really do that. But I think I measured the entire components against each other while I was doing the swap, and it was about a 2 1/2 inch difference in the rear and a 1 3/4 in the front but I cant be too sure

My worry is I'm gonna ruin this cars ability to be a daily driver once I lift it further, but I dont really know anything about the subject 

You put spacers between the crossmembers and body to lower the driveline and therefore lessen CV axle angles. The stock Outback that you took those struts off of had about 1" spacers on the subframes. Look up a lift kit for your car (sjr, adf, and others), and you'll see that higher lift heights require considerably more components.

What Numchux said - more components. But these will be built to keep your CV angles as they are now if you keep the same strut and spring combo. 

Going higher will allow taller tyres, which will give you more lift again but will also make your gearing taller and raise the centre of gravity. Driving style will need to change, otherwise you could ruin your forester, yourself or someone else. 

Cheers 

Bennie