Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core location issues...

Hello good people of the USMB.  I'm in a bind and definitely need some suggestions. I have a 94 Loyale wagon ea82 spfi w/ac. Heater core took a dump all over the pass floor a few months ago so when it finally started to get too cold to drive it in the morning, I parked it in the garage and tore the dash, steering wheel, and cluster out to finally retrieve the ol' heater core...  This is where my predicament begins.  I have called all major parts stores i.e. o Reilly's / AutoZone/ advanced Auto/ Napa/ motion auto etc etc. I even checked Amazon, eBay rockauto and anywhere else online that I could think of and nothing. I'm thinking that surely one of you fine gents (or ladies) know a trick or two to finagle a new core in there. Can I fit one from another make/model car? Do I just buy a generic size and put the plumbing from my old core on it? I tried testing the one that I pulled out of my car but couldn't really find a leak. Although I couldn't get a good seal to bring it up to any significant psi. But it was definitely leaking ALOT.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all! 

That's rad(iator) haha sorry the opportunity was too good.

I was told to try this method but thought it would be much more expensive than trying to fit one with similar dimensions. 

Do you remember if it ended up being a reasonable price in the end? I would love to give a shop the core and have them do their magic 

52 minutes ago, Turkeyberry said:

Try this site Car-part.com

You can search local yards and even call and see if you could have them ship. Would a heater core from a 91 legacy fit? I have a 91 leg wagon that I'm parting out. Heater core worked fine for the 2 years I drove it.

I'm not quite sure on fitment. But didnt the legacy's have EJ's in them?  Mine's EA82 and from what i understand and the pics in the book have led me to believe they are different. Either way, I'd rather get a new one especially bc replaing this damn thing is a royal pain!

I will research and get back to you  

thank you for the link! That will be helpful!

There’s a post of mine archived about the EA82 heater core swap.

Not a big deal. Good time to freshen up dashboard illumination too. Manage all the vacuum lines for the ducts. Re-foam the flappers. 

In that deep ya gotta make the rounds or it’ll bite you back. 

3 hours ago, moosens said:

There’s a post of mine archived about the EA82 heater core swap.

Not a big deal. Good time to freshen up dashboard illumination too. Manage all the vacuum lines for the ducts. Re-foam the flappers. 

In that deep ya gotta make the rounds or it’ll bite you back. 

Yessir, I'm going to do an LED dash bulb swap and wanted to ask (but didn't know if i would've needed to start another thread) but since it was mentioned...  I was thinking of going with the bright white (like 5k Kelvin bc the 6500k looks a little too blue for my liking) does anyone have opinions? would the white be too bright? its a 168 size bulb for the bigger ones, if I'm not mistaken but haven't gotten the correct bulb # for the smaller ones yet.  Pictures would be of much help if anyone has any. I don't have much in the way of reference.  I cant seem to find many LED dash bulb swaps on many ea82's  :confused:

Thanks again!

Lol , old guys like me have to chuckle , you’d better make a separate post. 

Sounds cool , but I’m just happy to use and abuse stock. The original bulbs in new fresh condition are out there. An old guy like me would be happy just to have them all working. Please post a nice night shot of the cluster when you’ve got it done and make me envious. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, silverhelme said:

Nice! unfortunately it says in the small print that it would ship in 1 to 3 MONTHS!  I wish I had that much to time to wait for one...  but alas, I do not. Thank you very much for looking it up though

14 hours ago, moosens said:

Lol , old guys like me have to chuckle , you’d better make a separate post. 

Sounds cool , but I’m just happy to use and abuse stock. The original bulbs in new fresh condition are out there. An old guy like me would be happy just to have them all working. Please post a nice night shot of the cluster when you’ve got it done and make me envious. 

I will for sure! The one or two ive seen online look really nice. I hope to get it all back together real soon