Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I was wondering what years/models have compatible seats with my 1997 Legacy wagon.  Theres a million Subarus in the junkyards here in SLC and I want to add newer heated seats if possible, but I'm not sure which ones fit!  Couldn't find any specific answer in the search.

For the wiring, would you just pull the switch as well from the junker car and wire it to a new relay on mine?  Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

They all pretty much interchange.  Some of the Seatbelt latches are different so you may have to swap the catch over from the old seat.

You may  have the wiring in your car for the heated seats.  If not, the stock wiring runs all the way over to the passenger side, down the door and back to the middle.

Forester seats sit about 1 1/2" higher.

Most yards are NOT selling seats with airbags in them.  So if you want a newer seat, cut all of the airbag electrical harness and labels off before you check out.

Any seats from any Legacy, including outback, will interchange within the years 1995 and 1999. I have both a 98 and 99 Outback, and have swapped seats in and out. It is a pretty easy job. Just be careful that you don't scrape the bottom mounting brackets on the paint, when moving a seat in or out.

• 4 weeks later...

OK I have the new heated seats swapped in, and most of the wiring is done.  But, I have to connect the switches to +12v still.  I can't figure out where the rear power supply relay is located or what it looks like, does anyone know? Can I tap into a wire by the fusebox? The wiring diagram pdf shows it under the glove compartment and looking up I can't find the pink connector. Seems like I'm looking in the wrong spot. Or maybe the rear power supply relay was only installed in the models with heated seats?

Also, can I connect the +12v for the switches and the +12v for the switch light circuit to the same power source? I figure it'd be fine as long as it's switched so the battery won't drain by accident, right? Otherwise the light power wire gets tapped into the headlight switch, correct? Thanks for the help!