Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Friend's 2000 chrysler concorde brake lines blew out last week while exiting a hwy on a turn. They are all rusted.

This guy is no stranger to "older" cars since he owns 5 1968 vintage Subaru 360s.

Any suggestions for best brake line material to use that is easy to flare/install?

I recall a debate on the site but can't find the post.

Don't want to do that job (or end up brakeless) more than once.

Over here the go to tube to use is called “bunny tube”. It’s the standard for fixed lines.

Since we don’t have snow and salt on our roads, copper brake lines are illegal due to the ability of the copper tube expanding the blowing out. 

For the flexible lines braided is the way to go. Our ADRs dictate that braided lines must be covered in a plastic like liner, basically a tube laminate. That’s what I got when I asked for braided lines.

Any good brake shop will point you in the right direction for what you need. 

Cheers

Bennie

Copper-Nickle Alloy is all I use anymore. It is on our 93 Ranger, 96 Voyager, 95 and 97 RHD Legacy's the one that goes over the fuel tank.

It will not expand with normal brake pressures and if you take a piece of it and bend it like 90 degrees back and forth until it breaks (it takes a while) it will not kink shut. You can wrap it around a screwdriver handle to make a coil.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Copper-Nickle Alloy is all I use anymore. It is on our 93 Ranger, 96 Voyager, 95 and 97 RHD Legacy's the one that goes over the fuel tank.

It will not expand with normal brake pressures and if you take a piece of it and bend it like 90 degrees back and forth until it breaks (it takes a while) it will not kink shut. You can wrap it around a screwdriver handle to make a coil.

Where do you buy yours? I'm in the CT rust belt.

Do you use the old connectors or the ones that come with the kits?

I get it at Fisher - Federated Auto Parts where I retired from. (they still give me the employee discount) I'm sure other auto parts stores would carry it, because I've seen it under different brand names. Find a mechanic that can get it for you at a discount. It comes in a roll.

I normally reuse the old connectors depending on rust. It is great for double and bubble flares. If I need new connectors I buy the shortest (6 or 8 inch) steel line that comes with two connectors on it, because it is cheaper than buying the two connectors alone.

Edited by Rampage

I just found this.

Copper-nickel is shown as the most reliable material by far. Users of copper-nickel brake tubing in addition to Volvo include world-class vehicle manufacturers like Rolls Royce, Lotus, Aston Martin, Porsche and, most recently, Audi. Copper-nickel is also used in military, fire fighting and other heavy vehicles.

And this.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=copper+nickel+brake+line&i=automotive&crid=1H4REOPR8WG37&sprefix=copper+nickel+brake+line%2Cautomotive%2C355&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_24

I use NiCop in all of my vehicles as well. Won't burst, won't rust, easy to bend and  the cost is not much more than steel. The only thing to be wary of via Amazon, is the lines that say they are Nickel Copper, but are either coated steel, or all copper. Usually I pay the slightly higher price to be able to touch it before purchase, but that is just a personal preference.

Local auto parts stores (Auto Zone, Advance, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc) should stock it or be able to order it for you.  It is more expensive (retail around $50 US for a 25 foot roll) you may be able to find it online or a coupon code for an online purchase at some retailers

• Like 1