Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Humming from rear end

On my 83 Wagon (4wd, auto) I noticed a humming from the rear end that changes with speed.  I pulled the drums off each side and cleaned them up, bearings looked ok and didnt make any obvious noises.  Brake shoes were in great shape as well.

As I said, the hum changes with speed.  It does not change by turning or by pressing or releasing the throttle.  I changed the gear oil in the rear end and maybe it is a little quieter but I could be imaging it.  

This normal?

Noise is not normal.  Failing universal joints can cause this kind of noise.   Check them first.  

Wheel bearings can make a noise, but you can't tell condition by looking - unless you took the bearings apart.  If the axle nuts were tight, and the seals were good, they are probably ok.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveT said:

The u joints are staked.  I had a local drive shaft shop rebuild one of mine, so I know it can be done.

Not on an ‘83. They’re replaceable. At least they are in Oz right up to the last brumby run in ‘91. 

L series, totally staked. Machining required to convert to replaceable uni joint yokes. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1