Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PSA good communication and prompt shipping would have saved alot of hassle

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, IROCDUDE89 said:

Still no response yet

I hate to hear when a forum member gets screwed by another member, but this is the internet after all, and you are in charge of protecting yourself.

@IROCDUDE89 How did you pay for the transmission?  Paypal has buyer protection or if you used a credit card you can file a claim with them.  If you paid as a gift, Venmo, wire transfer or anything else, consider this an expensive lesson.

27 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

I hate to hear when a forum member gets screwed by another member, but this is the internet after all, and you are in charge of protecting yourself.

@IROCDUDE89 How did you pay for the transmission?  Paypal has buyer protection or if you used a credit card you can file a claim with them.  If you paid as a gift, Venmo, wire transfer or anything else, consider this an expensive lesson.

@carfreak85 I used PayPal goods and services. And I tried to file a claim and they can only do something up to 180 days. And I missed that by a week. So they won't do anything. 

21 minutes ago, IROCDUDE89 said:

@carfreak85 I used PayPal goods and services. And I tried to file a claim and they can only do something up to 180 days. And I missed that by a week. So they won't do anything. 

I would have pulled the plug on the payment much earlier.  Why did you wait almost six months before you did anything?  If you paid with your credit card over Paypal (versus paying from your checking account) you can probably file a claim with them.  With CC companies, it's on the seller to prove the product was delivered.

Outside of the whole debacle with Shawn, consider this an expensive lesson learned about sending money through the internet.

8 minutes ago, somick said:

This is true. I have been screwed by pay pal too.  Never use it again.

Doesn't sound like he was screwed by PayPal, he just missed the cutoff to file a claim by a week (which he very likely would have won).

26 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

I would have pulled the plug on the payment much earlier.  Why did you wait almost six months before you did anything?  If you paid with your credit card over Paypal (versus paying from your checking account) you can probably file a claim with them.  With CC companies, it's on the seller to prove the product was delivered.

Outside of the whole debacle with Shawn, consider this an expensive lesson learned about sending money through the internet.

Doesn't sound like he was screwed by PayPal, he just missed the cutoff to file a claim by a week (which he very likely would have won).

Most of the wait was like I said. He told me he had a car wreck which took me a month to get that reply. So I told him to just ship it when he felt better. Months went by and I just lost track of it. And what the deal was took forever to get a reply finally he said he was having a hard time finding a way to ship it. I told him a few different ways which one was fastenal. He said he would check with them. Then he said the kid didnt know anything about it. So he would find another way. No response after that for awhile. So I put it on Facebook the first time. He finally responded. Said he was dropping it off at fastenal that day. Waited almost another month asked him where it was. Said he went to fastenal and they never shipped it. Then the next day he said it was going out on some freight. I asked for tracking number and have not heard from him since Oct 21. Haven't talked to the bank yet. Think it would matter that it wasnt a credit card and was my debit card?

32 minutes ago, IROCDUDE89 said:

Most of the wait was like I said. He told me he had a car wreck which took me a month to get that reply. So I told him to just ship it when he felt better. Months went by and I just lost track of it. And what the deal was took forever to get a reply finally he said he was having a hard time finding a way to ship it. I told him a few different ways which one was fastenal. He said he would check with them. Then he said the kid didnt know anything about it. So he would find another way. No response after that for awhile. So I put it on Facebook the first time. He finally responded. Said he was dropping it off at fastenal that day. Waited almost another month asked him where it was. Said he went to fastenal and they never shipped it. Then the next day he said it was going out on some freight. I asked for tracking number and have not heard from him since Oct 21. Haven't talked to the bank yet. Think it would matter that it wasnt a credit card and was my debit card?

Debit card offers zero protection, they're just plastic check books.  Most credit cards allow you to contest a payment pretty easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IROCDUDE89 said:

Yeah I dont have one. That's why post of the time I go thru PayPal 

You should sign up for one, as long as you don't go crazy and carry a massive balance month-to-month it's a good way to build your credit rating, important if you ever plan to buy a house, finance a car, or a lot of other things, actually.

Well transmission finally showed up. Glad he did keep his word. But there still should have been more communication on his part. Didnt seem to he a tracking number on it either. Which is fine all he had to do is say so. All he had to do he send me a pic of the packing slip and that would have been fine. Pallet looked like hell put tranny seems fine minus a few broke wires on some sensors. With that said anyone got a wiring diagram for a dual range ft4wd 5speed so can figure out what all is what and also will be looking for a xt6 3.9 ring gear and pinion, a 5speed 1.5 lo gear set, and I remember reading something about a premade kit to mount it with. I think his name was Jerry. His he still making them.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, carfreak85 said:

You should sign up for one, as long as you don't go crazy and carry a massive balance month-to-month it's a good way to build your credit rating, important if you ever plan to buy a house, finance a car, or a lot of other things, actually.

I think you should go back to all the places you posted this and actually post the words "I'm sorry Shawn," and change the title of the thread, because he clearly didn't take your money and run.

As stated by @Checkerboard Comet, a reputation can be ruined in an instant.  You need to do your part to help rebuild the damage to Shawn's reputation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

I think you should go back to all the places you posted this and actually post the words "I'm sorry Shawn," and change the title of the thread, because he clearly didn't take your money and run.

As stated by @Checkerboard Comet, a reputation can be ruined in an instant.  You need to do your part to help rebuild the damage to Shawn's reputation.

I have went back already posted he did ship it but still needs to better his communication. Cause either way ignoring messages for months is not the way to do business. But I will change the title as soon as I figure out how

• Like 1

Right on Shawn ! 

Hey man , life can be brutally busy for many of us. That’s not just some b/s excuse. Hang in there and have faith.

You understandably thought you’d do some good by letting us all know , but a lot of us know the guy well enough to know that he simply is not a rip-off.

Yes , I see there’s another guy or two who feel burned. But I’m confident there’s a good reason why things appear to have gone wrong. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, moosens said:

Right on Shawn ! 

Hey man , life can be brutally busy for many of us. That’s not just some b/s excuse. Hang in there and have faith.

You understandably thought you’d do some good by letting us all know , but a lot of us know the guy well enough to know that he simply is not a rip-off.

Yes , I see there’s another guy or two who feel burned. But I’m confident there’s a good reason why things appear to have gone wrong. 

I understand we get busy. But all I ever ask for was a explanation and a response which I never got. And I'm glad he's not a rip-off. Cause it would suck for the guy who made this awesome forum to be screwing people over. I never wanted to do this but it seemed like posting about it was the only way I would get a couple responses before he went silent again.

I am glad this all ended well for you. Years ago I built the same FT 4WD 5MT center locking trans for my EJ swapped '83 Wagon. I swapped the 3.9 ring and pinion from an XT6 trans in and also 23 spline stubs so I could retain stock EA81 front axles. I wanted to go with the 1.59 low range set but never made it that far. As it is now it's an awesome car even with the only slightly lower low range.

Edited by Crazyeights

8 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

I am glad this all ended well for you. Years ago I built the same FT 4WD 5MT center locking trans for my EJ swapped '83 Wagon. I swapped the 3.9 ring and pinion from an XT6 trans in and also 23 spline stubs so I could retain stock EA81 front axles. I wanted to go with the 1.59 low range set but never made it that far. As it is now it's an awesome car even with the only slightly lower low range.

Dont happen to have another 3.9 ring and pinion laying around do you

22 hours ago, IROCDUDE89 said:

I have went back already posted he did ship it but still needs to better his communication. Cause either way ignoring messages for months is not the way to do business. But I will change the title as soon as I figure out how

That's still not an actual apology, like you said you would post...:popcorn:

1 hour ago, carfreak85 said:

That's still not an actual apology, like you said you would post...:popcorn:

Actually I messaged him and apologized to him and asked him about some of the sensors that were damaged in shipping and what they were so I could get knew one. And the reply I got after that was "want me to see if they pay a damage claim". No it's all good sorry for taking so long. Still no explanation. So if he's good then I'm good. I'm not gonna worry myself about It. I apologize to him and showed everyone he did come thru. So it is what it is now

• Thanks 1

Sensors not, switches yes. These babies have one for reverse, one for neutral, one for fifth and one for low range and a fifth one too? if I got it correct. You can sort of then work them out when you look at the line of the three shift rails.

Good that you got it. I hope your centre diff is better than the one I got from a Subaru member over here. Cost me $800 ten years ago

12 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Sensors not, switches yes. These babies have one for reverse, one for neutral, one for fifth and one for low range and a fifth one too? if I got it correct. You can sort of then work them out when you look at the line of the three shift rails.

Good that you got it. I hope your centre diff is better than the one I got from a Subaru member over here. Cost me $800 ten years ago

Yeah I meant sensor haha. So really only one I need to use is the reverse for the reverse light and lo range for the dash light. What would 5th gear be used for

Something the ecu likes to know I suppose?

We used to have Isuzu commercial vans here 30 years ago that similar switch that a workmate used to ensure his electric radiator cooling fan cut out in fifth, figuring it was going fast enough for natural air flow to cool things, save fan wear and tear

I didn't see anyone else mention this, but Shawn is not the creator of the forum; Billy Clements created it sometime before I joined in 1997 or so.

I'm not saying this to defame Shawn at all, but rather to point out what a good guy he is for taking over USMB and acting as "curator" of this long-running wealth of Subaru knowledge and community. 

Had I been in the buyer's situation, I would also have been frustrated with the events that took place and the time frame, especially given the lack of communication (obviously the most frustrating part of the ordeal). I'm glad that some resolution has been reached, but Shawn has been accused of being a thief, something that has proven to be untrue. Those words remain in plain letters for all to read. A public apology is in order. 

If the buyer is still pissed about the way things transpired, that is certainly understandable, but the criticism should be based on what happened, or rather what did not (effective communications) rather than allowing an untrue accusation to stand.

Edited by Jack in Norfolk
  • Like 1