Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So was going to install a new cv axle and everything seamed pretty straight forward. My big issue is at some point after I bought the axle one of the flanges got bent...Easiest way to describe it is with the picture attached. 

new comer here and I’d appreciate any sort of information or help! Thanks everyone! 

7ACA0F75-35CC-4191-ABC9-835BD1B6AC86.jpeg

Limited lifetime warranty is for material and workmanship. Meaning it should be in good shape and fit and work, when you get it out of the box. If you damage it, they don't have to replace it.

But, I have seen things like that get replaced. It depends on where you got it and what kind of mood the counter guy or gal is in. Most aftermarket auto parts stores are owned by a corporation and they handle such a large volume of parts through their many warehouses that the returned (new) defects go into a dumpster because it is cheaper for them not having to handle those parts. (so I was told)

Some manufacturers do want their parts returned so they can see what is wrong, others don't care.

2 hours ago, Cameden said:

Where would the vibration come from? Isn’t it not moving when idling...or do you mean driving slowly?

Actually I do mean when idling in gear, like stopped at a light, which is why I joked "demonic possession". Makes no sense, but there it is anyway!

Throw the car in neutral and the vibration disappears.

It has been suggested that transmission mount may be at fault (and I do have one that is torn) but I had no issue prior to replacement of axle.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, brus brother said:

It has been suggested that transmission mount may be at fault (and I do have one that is torn) but I had no issue prior to replacement of axle.

You're right, it makes no sense.

One time when I changed the transmission in our 95 I found both tranny mounts were torn loose. There was no symptom of it driving the car. 

On 11/17/2019 at 11:06 PM, Rampage said:

You're right, it makes no sense.

One time when I changed the transmission in our 95 I found both tranny mounts were torn loose. There was no symptom of it driving the car. 

it does.

By holding the brake, and stopping the axles from rotating, they become firmly tensioned against the CV cup walls.  This effectively becomes a tripod mount that becomes stationary, taking away the vibration dampening of the rubber mount.

It happens in Subarus more than other makes because of the relatively long, angled, and equal length axles.....making an even triangle that stiffly locks the trans firm in relation to the body.

• Like 3

Subaru is discontinuing their reman axle program. We just found out last week. 

We have recently had good luck with an aftermarket brand from one of our wholesale suppliers. Chinese of course, but seem to be working well. I have no doubt the boots will not last as long as OEM. They are branded "Suretrak" and are coming from a partnership with an east coast parts retailer by the name of "Parts Authority". They are around $100. 

Or you can order new NTN axles from Subaru for $499 each. 

GD

you can get the Suretrak axles from RockAuto for about $40 - depending on the application.. I have one in my 02 Forester and so far it seems to be fine.. was installed in August i think.. maybe late July..

This is the one I purchased for the Foz

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3854955&cc=1378739&jsn=407

Surtrack/Trakmotive must be making a better product now than they were about 4 years ago. That is the brand of the one I threw on my trash pile because as it rotated forward, the steering wheel would turn about a quarter turn in the direction of which ever side it was on, right or left. I did swap it side to side.

I had been using Cardone reman axles on the front and after 2 - 3 years the outer boot would split.