Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric fan for EA82

Anybody ever convert to electric fans? My belt driven fan is cracked all over and getting scary looming while its moving. Im going to hit the salvage yard Tuesday to look fpr one if not then ill put in an electric. Any recomendations on how to mount it in? How about wirong without killing the low amp alternators? I feel an EJ swap coming next year but I have to survive until then

5 minutes ago, robm2 said:

Loyales all had electric fans.  They just bolt to the back of the radiator.  A switch in the rad controlled it. 

Only if they had A/C (which most of them did). But they still had the mechanical. I ran a couple with just the A/C fan, but here in northern MN, we're not pushing cooling systems very hard. In AZ, I don't think you'd get away with that.

Yea, remove it, measure the opening, buy a universal electric fan. Either use the included mounting "hardware" that pulls through the radiator (puts a little extra strain/vibration into your radiator, frequently it's fine), or make some brackets. Wire it through a relay, and either use a toggle switch, or you can utilize the factory switch for the existing electric fan (that one is wired without a relay, I would not put the load of 2 fans through it, though).

• Like 1

I removed the mech fan and installed a 12" generic electric fan from Amazon. Ran all summer with a/c and no issues. Wired it with a relay switched from the factory electric fan on the R side of rad. Super happy and it seems to have a little more pep. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wysubey said:

I removed the mech fan and installed a 12" generic electric fan from Amazon. Ran all summer with a/c and no issues. Wired it with a relay switched from the factory electric fan on the R side of rad. Super happy and it seems to have a little more pep. 

Do you happen to have a link for it?  Mine is dead and I would like to get a replacement for it if it is not very expensive.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, wysubey said:

Sure, here's the one I got. The mounting is tricky though. I used the included pieces that go through the rad... kinda bungs up some of the fins and the ties are junk. I would try to do something better if I was doing it again. 

Want to take some pictures or explain wiring? I dont do wiring, other that plugging in connectors lol

Starting at the battery, here's a fuse holder connected to Postitive with a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse. This fan draws 6.6amps. 

IMG_3806.jpg.0d1380ffc8affbb34095328a12a2d7d8.jpg

Then, at the center of the radiator is the relay, with that positive wire connected to the common terminal which is green on this socket. Make sure to get a >10 amp rated relay. Black coming up from fan goes to chassis ground. Blue wire from fan connects to Normally Open terminal. Then the coil wires keep going to the right side of rad and connect to...

IMG_3807.jpg.b549749b85a2ffe6b9d63d40e7908b2c.jpg

The existing radiator fan wires. When the factory fan kicks on, it energizes the coil on relay, which switches on power to the add on fan. 

IMG_3808.jpg.781a339a2d85c36833137654f2c11ec5.jpg